Questions about using Pro8mm Super8-63 b&w film.

Lyle Bell

Hey all..

didn't know if this should go here or in the film stock forum so I apologize if it's in the innaproriate forum

anybody use pro8mm's Super 8-63?

here's the reel from their site:

http://www.pro8mm.com/demo/super863.php

Just wondering if a camera like a Sankyo EM40xl that does well with Tri-X would expose this 10asa film properly. Do I need to meter differently or manually stop down?

also curious if anyone has sample footage uploaded..

churrs

-L

Just wondering if a camera like a Sankyo EM40xl that does well with Tri-X would expose this 10asa film properly. Do I need to meter differently or manually stop down?

That camera probably only has one notch-detection pin (take a look in the chamber) and depending on how the cart is notched it is most likely to be read as 40, so you'll need to manually compensate from that.

Rick

Hey all..

didn't know if this should go here or in the film stock forum so I apologize if it's in the innaproriate forum

anybody use pro8mm's Super 8-63?

here's the reel from their site:

http://www.pro8mm.com/demo/super863.php

churrs

-L

Save your money and just shoot Tri-X.

pro8mm's Super 8-63?

10asa film

I can't see the demo or navigate Pro8's site.

When I first read your post, I assumed that 10 ASA must have been a typo, and you had meant 100 ASA. But I see it was not!

I assume that is Kodak's hi-con title stock 7363 repacked for Super-8. Neat. I know someone who shot that as camera stock in 16mm. The footage was really beautiful, with milky milk-white whites and inky ink-black blacks. Lots of medium grey stuff was just obliterated, though, like the writing on his slate. The slate came out 100%, pure white. I'm sure in Pro8's demo, you have seen better than I can say. I didn't realize that Pro8 had it for S8.

I don't disagree that Tri-X is a more economical and (much more) versatile choice, but I do specifically remember that stock for its unique look. It would be difficult to emulate, so if that's the look you want, I think that's your stock.

You might just check in the Film Stocks & Processing forum about the ASA for 5363/7363 (and as a camera stock), though. My recollection (far from perfect) is that an ASA of 10 sounds generous. My recollection (far from perfect) is an ASA of 7. It's going to depend on what you're shooting, but you might just check (search the forum) for other opinions and experiences.