Rechargeable batteries a problem??

Mike Currell

Greetings film lovers

There is a lot of chatter re Alkaline, versus Nickel metal hydride batts along the lines of safety.

I even read a forum post that blamed rechargeables for frying his s8 camera?!

I have a handheld GPS which takes two AA's....the instruction manual warns against using "rechargeable" batts but gives no reason?

I believe that NMH can have a much higher float charge (voltage) after charging - is this a prob for older technology??

I've just realised that my Kodak NMH's are 1.2v wheareas Alkaline AA's are 1.5v - is this a prob?

My NMH batts are rated at 2100mAh- I hope to use them in a Canon 1014xls. They have been doing a sterling job in my radio mics.

Obviously S8 cams where designed when batt technology was in its infancy. Should we use NMH batts in our cams? I certainly dont want to harm the Canon 1014xls that I have on order! Any disscussion from the "sparkies" amoungst us would be appreciated....anyone have a bad experience with MNH's?

Thanks youse guys!

Mike

• Premium Member

I am not a electronics expert, but I have had to deal with the issue none the less. As cameras age, the lubrication dries up, the level of current that goes through the wires decreases, the end result can be that certain kinds of batteries don't work as well as others.

I am a huge fan of the Lithium Double AA batteries. I ran well over 30 cartridges of film on one set of batteries, it may have been as many as 40 and I finally inadvertently left the camera in the on position for a couple of days and that is when I had to retire them.

Some Nizo 4 digit model numbers work with rechargeables, but not with alkalines. I've literally swapped out batteries between cameras and had the alkalines work in one Nizo four digit model number and the rechargeables work in a different Nizo four digit model number, but when swapped out, neither camera would work.

I am not a electronics expert, but I have had to deal with the issue none the less. As cameras age, the lubrication dries up, the level of current that goes through the wires decreases, the end result can be that certain kinds of batteries don't work as well as others.

Thanks for your response Alessandro.

From my limited tech knowledge I question the fact that "when the lubrication dries up the current that goes thru the wires decreases"

I would have thought that when the lube dries up, friction increases thereby increasing any current draw which may equal substantial temperature rises which equals - S8 bugger up finish"!! Motors have to work harder if friction is present thereby putting more demands on power supplys and components.

But for all I know I may be way off here.

Could it be that NMH being only 1.2V instead of 1.5V is the issue for some cams? Maybe I should stick to what I know best.....drinking?!

C'mon where are all the techies??

Mike

• Premium Member

You misunderstood my response Mike, and I guess I could have been a bit clearer. I am giving you TWO, SEPARATE reasons. The wires, as they age, don't transfer current as effectively. The problem gets further exacerbated because the lubrication is not as effective as when the camera was newer. So, less effective lubrication plus less effective current flow equals a higher probability of the camera bogging down.

In my opinion the best way to fix this issue is to have the camera relubricated by an expert, and to use the best quality batteries you can find. At the end of the day, Super-8 double AA batteries are about the cheapest costing type of batteries for any film or video camera on the market, so spending an extra 50-75 cents per double A battery becomes a no brainer.

-----------------------------

You can also factor in a rechargeable battery which just doesn't have as high of a voltage to begin with and that may also contribute.

Then there is the issue of twacking the film cartridge like a pack of just opened cigarettes to loosen up the film. Plus turning the film cartridge spindle a couple of times in the correct direction can also help reduce film take up friction.

I understand your point Alessandro - thanks.

What are super 8 batteries? you mean ordinary alkalines?

Basically I have plenty of NMH batts that I use in my radio mics and intend trying them in the cam. My main concern here is that I don't blow the cam up! Don't see why it should except that older electronics may not take kindly to a higher float charge when the batts are first put in and the cam is switched on?

And why as I disscussed in my first post is there a warning on my GPS not to use rechargeables? There must be a reason!! I hope this reason doesn't relate to S8 cameras.

Your other points re cartridges and having the cam serviced are well recieved too.

"Then there is the issue of twacking the film cartridge like a pack of just opened cigarettes to loosen up the film. Plus turning the film cartridge spindle a couple of times in the correct direction can also help reduce film take up friction".

You should really give up smoking, it is not good for the camera!! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Mike