using double 8mm film in a 16mm camera?

chris hoag

i just shot some double 8mm plus-x reversal (that i broke down from a 400ft) roll in a 16mm camera and the image looks a bit jittery. should double 8 perf film not be used in 16mm camera? will it cause registration problems?

thanx,

chris

• Premium Member

I know little about Arris, but I am pretty sure the perfs and the concept should present no problems. When I was a kid I regularly projected and edited my 8mm movies on 16mm equipment without problems (other than everything goes by twice as fast!). I borrowed the 16mm gear from the AV closet at school because I couldn't afford a projector or editor (paper routes pay poorly).

I use the same principle with 2 perf 35mm. You can project a 2 perf workprint on any 35mm projector, the images will just be half as high and go through twice as fast. Good enough to check critical focus or other issues.

Bruce Taylor

www.indi35.com

A 400 foot roll? How old was it? Was it Kodak, or a plain label? It might have been re-perfed 16mm, which would explain the jitter-- the perfs weren't up to snuff.

Kodak R8 won't have any problems, except in threading the projector, where you might start with a split-frame in the gate due to not knowing where the perfs line up.