Arri 235 - 4-perf?

Nick Eriksson

Hi all,

I have a great opportunity in the next couple of months to shoot a short film on the Arri 235. This will be my first time shooting on 35mm and I am wondering, is this camera configured to shoot 4-perf as standard? i.e. rental houses will not adjust to 3-perf / 2-perf unless specifically instructed?

I am surprised as to how cheap the 235 is to rent, especially considering its many modern features, is this solely down to it being a non-sync sound camera?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Nick Eriksson

Hey Nick,

yes the 235 is definitely MOS.

Also, if your shoot is in HK I am not sure if you can do 3perf or 2perf at all since at the time we shot our short film there was no 3-perf and 4-perf at all available in HK.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!!!

• Premium Member
Hi all,

I have a great opportunity in the next couple of months to shoot a short film on the Arri 235. This will be my first time shooting on 35mm and I am wondering, is this camera configured to shoot 4-perf as standard? i.e. rental houses will not adjust to 3-perf / 2-perf unless specifically instructed?

I am surprised as to how cheap the 235 is to rent, especially considering its many modern features, is this solely down to it being a non-sync sound camera?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Nick Eriksson

Hi,

From memory each gate for a 235 is approx 35,000 euros, the rental house will probably offer you what they have. It's not adjustable the gate needs to be replaced.

Stephen

Hey Nick,

yes the 235 is definitely MOS.

Also, if your shoot is in HK I am not sure if you can do 3perf or 2perf at all since at the time we shot our short film there was no 3-perf and 4-perf at all available in HK.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!!!

Thanks Han,

That's interesting info. That would pretty much mean that Johnnie To is the sole owner of a 2-perf system in HK. I have sent you a pm Han, I would be very interested in seeing your final short film when complete. Do you mind telling me what camera you used for the shoot?

Best,

Nick