Varicam 4300 and 6300 filters

redbaron

I'm fairly new to HD and will be shooting with the Varicam next week. In researching and reading the manual and I've noticed the filters are 4300 and 6300 as opposed to 3200 and 5600 on most other video cameras (there is 32k aswell, but...)? Is it just giving a warmer overall tone? Can someone break that down for me.

Thanks!

• Premium Member
I'm fairly new to HD and will be shooting with the Varicam next week. In researching and reading the manual and I've noticed the filters are 4300 and 6300 as opposed to 3200 and 5600 on most other video cameras (there is  32k aswell, but...)?  Is it just giving a warmer overall tone?  Can someone break that down for me.

Thanks!

There is 3200 as well. 4300 is for a halfway correction. 6300 makes daylight look slightly warm to cancel the coolness of the shadows -- it's sort of an old tradition with video cameras. The Sonys do this as well. In the Version 3 upgrade to the Sony F900 HDCAM, they replaced the star filter with a 5500K filter, so now you have a choice between 5500K and 6300K (or something close to those numbers.)