DOF adaptor or Nikon d5000

I have an hv30, and a some Nikon lens (including a 50m 1.4). I was wondering what would be better- get a good dof adaptor and rails, or just get a like priced dslr? I was thinking around $1k. I film mostly MOS, and would be using the equipment for outdoor mood shots in snowboarding, surfing and sailing projects, and maybe telephoto work. I shoot super 8, so the manual focus thing ain't so big a problem for me. (I did have a problem with Nikon, however. My D70 was a reliablity disaster, a shook my confidence in nikon. This fact is a big reason why I am having trouble with this question))

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andrew,

The DSLR will be sharper, but you'll get significant jellocam in high-motion content. Neither setup is ideal for shooting high-motion, because they're both CMOS-based cameras, but the HV30 will be a little better. Considering the environment you're working in, I'd recommend getting an decent, inexpensive DOF adapter (like the Jag35) that's easier to fix on your own and wouldn't be a huge loss if it got destroyed.