Kessler Pocket Dolly vs. IndiSlider Pro

Guest Rod Blackhurst

Want to make a purchase. Something that is highly portable and can be used with both my 5D Mark II and an HPX170 package.

Kessler Pocket Dolly

IndiSlider Pro

Has anyone used both and has one they prefer? Or has anyone used one of them and likes it a whole lot?

Basically these are the same thing. Same manufacturer of the basic components. The Bearings are stiffer than a true slider. You have to work at the push. The bearing races are very delicate. Buy a case along with it. The Indieslider has better accesories, but having been a part of an engineering team making this same dolly ( different company). The higher your push point the more a tendancy to have a momentary jam.

Looking at the two I would recommend the indieslider.

If you want to make one yourself, Check out the IGUS Drylin W linear slide system.

I highly recommend you check this out before you buy one.

• Premium Member

Yes, you can make it yourself. The famous DIY 39" Slider. I however purchased one from Alastair's company Glidetrack. It is built with the same components as the DIY version but he has manufactured a couple of nice end stops. In the DIY version just drill a hole at each end and put a bolt through it and secure it with a nut. Place a flat base fluid head and your done.

yes you can make it yourself. Igus sells the linear bearing and plate that make up the whole slider unit except stops and feet. Buy the length you want in the double tube linear bearing and the size bearing traveler. If you want call them up and they can help you, very friendly people over there. the hardest part is making the mount for the head. I recommend just buying a head to leave on it. Drill a couple holes and tap a couple holes. and viola'.

anyone can do it.