Light Glare/Flare (not sure of the correct term)

Below I have a music video that has an effect that I want to use but im not sure how to do it. Every time I ask someone I always get a different answer. I want to know how to make the lights glare or flare the way it did in the music video below. And if this can be done in camera or in post I would like to know how to achieve it...

• Premium Member
Below I have a music video that has an effect that I want to use but im not sure how to do it. Every time I ask someone I always get a different answer. I want to know how to make the lights glare or flare the way it did in the music video below. And if this can be done in camera or in post I would like to know how to achieve it...

Looks like a homemade scratch/streak filter -- you can take a clear plastic filter (or glass I guess) and abrade/scuff it lightly in one direction to create that light smear along one line, then point bright lights into the lens + filter.

You could also do it with a very thin smear of vaseline on a clear glass filter but it would be a bit fuzzier overall, more dreamlike. This music video looks more like a a scratched surface, a bunch of abrasions.

An UV filter with thin vaseline coating on it will create the same effect. The same effect can be achieved by using a clear plexi glass with slight cracks on it - you can get slight cracks by dropping some coins on to the glass... careful not to drop many, you will have to experiment a bit before achieving it... all the best

• Premium Member

You can also place streaks like that by stretching fishing monofilament in front of the lens. Experiment with the thickness of line and distance from various lenses. It's finicky. Looks great sometimes and doesn't look like anything other times.

Hi,

There are some effects you can get in After Effects but I wouldn't say they are great. Videocopilot has been posting a lot on twitter about optical flares which you may benefit from checking that out.

• 1 month later...