Camera rental for short film

Guest Arthur Zajac

Guest Arthur Zajac

Alright its my first post here and I just have a couple of questions. I am brand new to film so bare with me. First of all my friend and I are going to shoot a short and we have decided to do it on film (for school). We are going to do this over a weekend so most likely 2 days of rental. The thing is we do not know what kind of camera to rent. We both would like super 16 but dont know if we can afford it. Our budget is $ 500 for camera rental, we are going to pull it together and it is going to be awesome.

This is our first project on film and we have our school photo teacher helping us. Does anyone know if there are some reasonably priced rental facilities in LA that anyone has had expierence with.

Thanks much

Arthur

• Premium Member

Panavision has a program to help students with a 16mm package. If you can?t get it free, than it can be cheap.

$500 for a camera rental is not an unreasonable sum for the weekend. It will be tight, and will require you to make deals with who ever you get the package from.

On a music video I did, we got a Panaflex 16, with mags, primes, and all the other good stuff for $600 a day. This was a decent package, but we had a good producer.

Another place to lookout is just all the other rental houses, and private owners.

You actually won?t pay "extra" for S16 compared to standard 16. It will just affect what cameras you can use, and from who you get them from.

You also will need to have insurance. If you don?t have insurance, you will have a very hard time getting a package.

If you can?t afford insurance, try Wooden Nickel. They have 16mm packages and they will allow you to pay extra for their insurance.

Kevin Zanit

Guest Arthur Zajac

I was hoping it would be reasonable. :D Since I can't get it for free I would like to look into that student package with Panavision, becasue I need it as cheap as I can. Also if anyone can recommend a rental house that they have expeirence with and have good deals. I see still need to look around a bit.

Insurance, eh? Like can you buy the insurance from the rental houses or do you have to have it yourself?

Arthur

I'd like to add that Panavision while being very helpful like to know that their equipment is going to be handled by people with a certain amount of experience (and rightly so).

Would you let a beginning driver go out for a spin in your Ferrari?

• Premium Member

This is true.

Also, having a proper camera department will make your shoot go much smoother. Having a first that knows the Panavision movement would be critical.

The other thing is, the Elaine (Panaflex 16) is a bit "finicky" in newer hands. It can blow fuses rather easily.

The insurance can not be purchased at the rental house (except for that one place I mentioned, Wooden Nickel). You have to go to an insurance broker for this sort of thing. I personally don?t know of any companies as I have never had to deal with this, it is a producer issue, not mine :D . The insurance is quite expensive. I know for a weekend long shoot I did, with a Panavised F900 and decent grip/ electric package in very safe settings, the insurance was around $2000 (so I was told).

Like I said, I have always had great experiences going out of Panavision. They certainly have earned my loyalty over the years.

Kevin Zanit

• 2 weeks later...

You definitely get a good camera package for $500 bucks or under

I recommend an Aaton XTR or an Arri SR

Two good places to check in LA

Would be AbelCine Tech or Birns & Swayer (check them on the internet)

Just don't expect a fully decked out package for $500 bucks.

The one thing that'll kill you will be insurance

You'll have to go to a broker

It can cost you from 500 up to a 1000 for a weekend.

One good suggestion is to find a cameraman with his own camera

There are many folks with a S16 camera who would work for 500 a weekend.

Hell I'd do it if I were in LA.

(If you plan to shoot in NYC gimme a call :) )

Anyways you can find a guy with a S16 Eclair ACL or Eclair NPR

Or maybe even an Aaton LTR (like I've got) or XTR

Or an Arri SR

Hell if you're not shooting synch you can find someone with a S16 Bolex

I like the Panavision Elaine for studio work

but it's not as steady for location work (or student shooting

which is mostly on location work)

That's why it isn't so popular in S16 industry (cept with panavision fanatics).

Anyways good luck

If you search hard enough you'll find something

KARMA bums

Panavision has a program to help students with a 16mm package.  If you can?t get it free, than it can be cheap.

$500 for a camera rental is not an unreasonable sum for the weekend.  It will be tight, and will require you to make deals with who ever you get the package from.

On a music video I did, we got a Panaflex 16, with mags, primes, and all the other good stuff for $600 a day.  This was a decent package, but we had a good producer.

Another place to lookout is just all the other rental houses, and private owners.

You actually won?t pay "extra" for S16 compared to standard 16.  It will just affect what cameras you can use, and from who you get them from.

You also will need to have insurance.  If you don?t have insurance, you will have a very hard time getting a package.

If you can?t afford insurance, try Wooden Nickel.  They have 16mm packages and they will allow you to pay extra for their insurance.

Kevin Zanit

Can anyone tell me where to go to get more info on Panavision's student program????