HMI HELP

Guest EricDavis

Guest EricDavis

Hi, I?m brand new here so excuse me if it has been covered before. I just brought a used HMI (1200w Par; 120v magnetic ballast) and it didn?t come with instructions or a user manual. I?m wondering if someone can explain the correct procedure for setting it up. It will be powered by a gas generator (Honda EX4500) or via a 30amp outlet. Any advise on safety precautions during operation of the system would also be great.

Thanks.

• Premium Member

Well, just be carefull with a non crystal controlled generator of flicker issues.

If it is a flickerfree ballast that should help.

It is simple to setup the unit:

Head up the unit on a stand, plug in the feeder cable into the unit (and tie it off to the yoke or handle to take up the tension). Then plug it into the ballast. Connect the ballast to power, and press the green button to strike the unit. It can take as long as ten minutes to come up to speed.

There should also be a lens box that was included with the unit. The way you put the lens in will differ by manufactorer, but is simple to figure out. It should always go into the slot cloesest to the lamp.

If it does not strike, post back and I can help you troubleshoot it.

Kevin Zanit

Guest EricDavis

Thanks Kevin,

(correction: It's a 2500w Par, not a 1200w that I first mentioned)

We are shooting on video at 30 & 60fps so the flickering shouldn?t be an issue with the mag ballast (at least as far as I know). Could you be more specific on the order in which everything is connected then disconnected when done (if it makes a difference) or any dos/don?ts or safety precautions that apply.

My concern is that connecting it one way might be more dangerous than another. For example (and I know none of these to be true or false):

Never disconnect from the power source before turning off the ballast

Never connect/disconnect two feeders while the ballast is on

Safety: always put the ballast on a rubber mat

Etc.

I?m just trying to prevent anyone from getting hurt while using this.

Thanks again for the help.

Edited by EricDavis

• Premium Member

Well, if we want to get technical it really does not matter if you connect the power source before you connect the feeder cable.

That said, I personally would always connect the feeder cables before plugging it in, just so I could eliminate all possibility of accidentally striking the ballast before the light is connected (bad for the ballast).

So the order would be as follows:

To head up:

Head cable light, head cable ballast (the order of this really does not matter at all)

Power source ballast

Power switch on ballast (if your ballast has one)

Strike button

To dehead:

Red button (kill the unit)

Ballast switch off

Power source out

Head cables out

Let it cool off for a bit (if you can) and then take any lenses and scrims out.

The only real safety precaution that is just a blanket statement (in other words not an answer to a question like: I am filming in the rain, what should I do?) is that if your HMI globe is real old, it carries an explosion risk. All HMI globes can explode fairly severely, especially on strike up. But the older it is, the more prone to this it is.

Make sure your generator has a 60amp bates out. Or if your ballast has a twist lock connection, make sure your generator does also. Whatever the connection may be, just make sure they match.

Kevin Zanit

Just be protective of the head feeders. As you know they are very expensive and if a car drives over one it?s toast. Lenses also get broken a lot be sure your guys are latching boxes and handling the hot lenses with care.

Guest EricDavis

I?ve put together a guide for those who might be using the system based on the input here & conversations with others. The step-by-step is meant to be a guide by which someone can setup/breakdown the system and while there are undoubtedly other ways of doing it, this method should ensure safe operation.

Does anyone see any problems or untruths with it or have any additional advice or suggestions?

Thanks for all the help!

2500w User Guide:

Safety:

DO NOT ever touch the globe (light bulb) with your hands. The oils from your skin will cause it to explode when it gets hot. Always wear gloves.

Always wear gloves when setting up & breaking down the system.

Wear rubber soled shoes.

Place wooden ?stools? under the connection points of two feeder cables.

NEVER DO THE FOLLOWING:

NEVER touch or connect any part of the system if you are not standing (never kneel, sit, lay down, etc.) This will turn your body into the electrical ground & you could get electrocuted.

If the power is connected to the ballast, NEVER press the green button if the light is not connected to the ballast & in the ?On? position (it may damage the ballast).

Setting up:

Position light in its final location

Connect feeder cable(s) to the light, then back towards the ballast

Connect feeder cable to ballast

Connect ballast?s power cord to its power source

If power is a generator, start generator

Press ?Yellow? button on ballast to test for ground connection

Press ?Green? button to turn on light

Breaking down:

Press ?Red? button on ballast to turn off light

Turn off generator (if using one)

Unplug ballast from power source (generator or outlet)

Disconnect feeder cable from ballast

Disconnect cables from each other working back towards the light

Disconnect last cable from light

Set the light stand in its lowest position

Leave light on the stand & let it cool before removing it