Arri SR2 Package

Sandy Thomson

I'm getting close to buying an SR2 package including zoom. I noticed an old post (2004) from Mitch Gross saying you could buy an SR2 pkg for 12-15k.

I've been looking and havent seen anything like that range advertised.

I sure don't want to throw money away and would love to know where to go to get prices in this range. Anybody with a suggestion?

I'm getting close to buying an SR2 package including zoom. I noticed an old post (2004) from Mitch Gross saying you could buy an SR2 pkg for 12-15k.

I sure don't want to throw money away and would love to know where to go to get prices in this range.  Anybody with a suggestion?

Derrick Whitehouse has got an SR1 kit available for $11k.

http://www.whitehouseav.com/SRpics.htm

The camera used to belong to DP Kyle Bergersen. I pulled focus for Kyle on this camera for a couple of years in the mid-90's and he took very good care of it and had it serviced professionaly on a regular basis. It's special cause it's got a PL mount.

Guest Y.M.Poursohi

I saw this one on ebay, which ended about a week ago. It did not sell. An SR2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3864758127&rd=1

The page might not load up since the auction is over, in that case you have to sign into ebay do a search under "arri" with completed auctions and you'll see it.

Disclaimer: i am not related to or know the seller. Also, I recomend that you test the camera and ask for serial #s (just repeating what the experienced people have thought me)

Hope this helps

Yousef

Guest Y.M.Poursohi

I saw this one on ebay, which ended about a week ago. It did not sell. An SR2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3864758127&rd=1

The page might not load up since the auction is over, in that case you have to sign into ebay do a search under "arri" with completed auctions and you'll see it.

Disclaimer: i am not related to or know the seller. Also, I recomend that you test the camera and ask for serial #s (just repeating what the experienced people have thought me)

Hope this helps

Yousef

I got a nice Aaton LTR-54 a couple of years ago for less than $10K. I know it's not an SRII, but it's definitely comparable. And a nice thing about the LTR-54s is they can all do Super 16 with no after-market modifications.

- - - - -

Chance Shirley

Birmingham, Alabama

Sorry folks, I omitted one small detail. S-16.

That changes things considerably.

Add the cost of converting a good SR11 package to S-16 and you're right there where the already converted cameras are, in the 27-30k price range. Or am I missing something?

Sandy, I've spent quite a bit of time recently buying and selling super16 camera packages. Here's just a few thoughts for you or anyone else who might be considering a similar purchase:

1) Aspect ratio is a huge decision. There are many SR2's that have been converted to Super16. Aspect ratio can greatly change the marketability of the camera in rental and of you as a DP with the camera. Also, if future resale is an issue, standard 16 cameras are becoming a lot harder to sell while converted super16 packages are much more current due to HD. Super 16 has substantially more resolution. I think the lowest you could hope to get a good super16 SR2 package for is about 20K. (Mine is on consignment for 28K without a lens)

2) The optics might be the single most influential element that determines the performance of the camera--more than some people think. I've seen some people go with a more expensive camera and poor optics. I would prefer a clean SRI with a German motor (the French one is the one to look out for) and good glass than a much newer SR2 with poor glass.

3) Be careful....there are a lot of shady people out there selling cameras (and they are real good talkers). For a few hundred dollars, an Arri certified tech can check out a camera package. If you make that a condition of the sale, you will have piece of mind that you made the right choice.

There are a lot of good places to go through...here's a few I've had good luck with:

Visual Products

www.visualproducts.com

www.isaia.com

• 2 weeks later...

I sure don't want to throw money away and would love to know where to go to get prices in this range.  Anybody with a suggestion?

Hi Sandy,

I've got an SRII package w/3 mags, batteries, video tap, matte box, Zeiss zoom, cases etc. If you're still looking let me know.

-W