Bright Star

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0810784/

This is the kind of cinematography I aspire to, once its in my repertoire then and only then will I go nuts with all the new fangled what not...

We'll see ;)

Basically, I lost count of the ooh ahh moments - fellow movie goer complained of the film itself being bland but I was all wrapped up in the photography and production design to notice...

There was a continuity error near the beginning involving cigarette smoke - not worth mentioning apart from the irony that it was a puff of smoke that disappeared 'in a puff of smoke' ... go figure :lol:

I think it's fitting that there isn't much talk about the cinematography on this one. I found it to be irritating and relying on cliches of what "good cinematography" is. Sort of like watching a mash-up of perfume commercials and student films made by Terrence Malick admirers.

For candle-lit interiors the faces of the subjects always seemed brightly lit, despite there not being an explainable source. You'd have some candles in the background that are dim and around 2,000K and then the characters are lit with this huge, bright white light source - out of nowhere. I remember also being annoyed that for daytime interiors, the faces inside were brightly lit from a direction that didn't match any sources either. Not to mention how bland and flat I found the overall lighting to be. Every wall is just evenly lit and there is no contrast in any of the wide shots of the rooms. It's all rather 2 dimensional.

I think it's fitting that there isn't much talk about the cinematography on this one.

YES! exactly - ;)

I think its a skill worth having in ones tool kit being able to do this.

As for your other comments, I decided to switch off that person after the smoke thing or I'd spend the whole film looking at bokeh and what not - hard, but doable - maybe next time I'll spot them ...

Edited by Chris Millar