altering the depth of perception

I want to achieve the classic effect of moving the background in or out while keeping subject relatively normal, by dollying out and zooming in or vice versa. Problem is, the room gives me about 15 feet to work with. Will my want be possible or should I scrap the attempt? Thanks.

You are not giving enough information. What is your format? Focal length range, lens aperture, and estimated distance to subject will also be needed for someone to be able to help you. That said and speaking from experience without knowing any other details, a 15 feet room is probably not big enough, unless you are using 35mm or similar large video sensor and large lens aperture (F1.3-F2 perhaps) with a 50 mm lens. If your room has a window and you put the camera and the dolly outside it using a longer lens, that may be a better solution.

• Premium Member

I think he means the trick of dollying one way while zooming the other to keep the actor the same size while the BG shrinks or stretches behind him/her. If he has enough room on the wide end of the zoom lens, it might work. It's the kind of thing he could test by himself with a hand held video camera. Just match the angles and that'll give you a good idea if you'll like the effect.

-- J.S.