Buying Equipment

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

The "can shoot anytime" thing I can see working for video, but with a minimum four-figure investment every time you hit "run" on a film camera, I can't see the argument there. It's still the circus coming to town to use the thing.

Absolutely not. I've grabbed my 35mm camera on a last minute notice basis and for under $100 have gotten some terrific footage that I cut into my film. I set up a light in a corner and filmed. I had one kid helping me drag my battery. That was it, no circus involved. If I didn't own my own kit I doubt I could have gotten to the rental house on time to check out the camera I wanted, etc.

- G.

Edited by GeorgeSelinsky

Cinema clowns? They all come piling out of a small Fiat, a bunch of guys in web belts hung with carabiners and gaffer's tape all carrying a Pelican case and a C-stand, whilst talking on a two-way radio? And the last guy out is a sound engineer, arriving five minutes after everyone else, reading the newspaper and drinking a coffee. Now that's funny...

• Premium Member

As a few people have noted, you are ahead of the game by knowing what you want to do early on. I knew I wanted to be a photojournalist in high school and started getting paid for my photography at 16, working for the local newspaper. Then I went to photography school and six months after graduation I got hired as a staff photographer on a medium sized newspaper. I worked for a decade as a PJ and eventually migrated over to film and video. Perhaps there's a similar opening at your local TV station.

Everyone has their own way and own method. You must choose what is right for you. It sounds corny, but you must travel your own path. Perhaps it is good for you to have a film or video camera. Keep shooting on your 35mm stills camera and hone other skills in cinematography by owning a film, or video camera. Shooting on video is cheaper than shooting on film and you can inexpensively improve your camera operating and editing techniques.

As Mat pointed out, the relationships you make by working on sets are important and can lead to more work. These people will know you and your abilities. Getting jobs working on film and video shoots is the important part and then work your way up.

I also stress getting a college education, this helps round a person out and makes you learn about life and all the muck that seems unimportant now. It will become relevant later. Take accounting, advertising, marketing and small business management classes, in addition to cinematography, or photo, video, literature, writing and English classes.

The people that you meet in school will also be important contacts as well. The "old school tie" can be helpful in building relationships and getting jobs. Professional organizations are also good places to make contacts.

Knowing people who can get you work is very important and in some ways, that will dictate what equipment, if any, you should own.

Sounds like you are on the right road. Working in a camera shop is a good way to support your "habit". You might also look for a job working in a rental house. That way you can get your hands on "the good stuff" and get to know people already in the industry.

Guest JanayBrown

Because of the types of productions we do we own our equipment. Just makes more sense for us. Because we often shoot last minute unexpectedly.

4 Canon XL2's lights etc. However overall I would say no to owning. Just like our servers are leased. Technology changes at the drop of a hat. With that being known it is my thought that if you own you may lose out to the guy who can get the newest and biggest magic bullet thingie.

Though it seems like it can be a two edged sword on this one and cut you both ways. I would go along with the majority here and say dont worry about owning and all the costs that go with it if you live somewhere the equipment can easily be obtained.

If you are just starting out there is no reason to have to try and pay off a camera, and then all the maintenance costs with it as well. IMHO