Fuji Rep

David Cronin

Sorry to ask this question on this forum, but I feel it might be answered better than the student forum, so here it goes:

Does anyone know a good fuji film rep in LA that can offer discounted stock for student films?

2nd. I am planning on filming the opening credits of a student film in black and white (probably corrected in post). I am going to photograph a sequence of freeway over passes on a jerry rigged Arri SR II (SR3 guts) during the day on fuji vivid 160.

I want the images to feel completely still and lifeless almost like a still. The final overpass in the sequence I am planning on laying two images over each other and shooting it at dusk.

The first a still from the camera that captures the motion blur of a cars tail lights streaking across the frame. This ideally means I would have to manually expose the film for the duration it would take a car to "streak" across my frame 3-5 seconds. My variable speed control only goes to 1 second exposure, even with a fully open shutter this will not give me the desired effect. Is it possible to do this manually? Meaning just roll the film on the SR II with the lens cap on stop the film with the shutter exposed, take off the cap for three seconds and put it back on. Assuming I have calculated correct exposure is this even possible? Will I experience reciprocity failure exposing a motion picture stock for 3-5 seconds?

The second image that will lay over the first is the exact same frame shot at a higher frame rate (exposure should hopefully match) except I would like this exposure to be just a bit hotter to allow visibility of the other cars tail lights to travel or pulse through the already established beam of light. I think a sprint commercial has done this before.

Finally as the image pulses like a heart beat, the city and freeway overpass gradually shifts from a black and white to bright colorful fuji vivid 160.

The city is alive.

If anyone would like to share there thoughts or concerns, I would love to hear them.

David

Rich Kalinsky (recans@aol.com ) used to sell ALOT of recans and short ends of both KODAK and FUJI film. Last week he started working at FUJI as a motion picture sales rep. . Contact him through

the email I posted above and he can help you out.