Metropolis Restoration with the long lost footage

The new resto with nearly all the lost scenes restored will be premiering at the Berlnale this week, as well as on ARTE TV on the 12th. Hope some of you folks in Europe will be watching this, and perhaps some kind soul will help us poor, deprived Americans by getting a recording out...y'know, through legal, non file-share channels (cough, cough).

BR

Hope some of you folks in Europe will be watching this, and perhaps some kind soul will help us poor, deprived Americans by getting a recording out...y'know, through legal, non file-share channels (cough, cough).

BR

Arte is only 720p. There will be a 1080p BD later this year.

• Premium Member

Wow -- I saw the guys who were working on that at a trade show years ago. They had found some of the original lightning flashes and BG's, and were re-making the composites. I'd love to see this on a big screen with properly set up projectors.

-- J.S.

http://gordonandthewhale.com/metropolis-na...theatrical-run/

METROPOLIS nabs a theatrical run

Will Schiffelbein

by: Will Schiffelbein

February 14th, 2010

Last week, we heard news that METROPOLIS would be unveiling its once lost original cut. This news came after we learned that a prime print of its original cut, before Paramount’s editors chopped it to bits, had been found in Argentina. Then, it was made available to stream live from the Berlin Film Festival three days ago. If you weren’t one of the 11 or so people who elected to stream it on Friday, don’t fret. It looks like Fritz Lang’s original cut of METROPOLIS will be receiving a theatrical run this year. More information after the jump.

Friday night, Fritz Lang’s METROPOLIS screened to rave reviews in front of audiences at the Berlin Film Festival. Reports from critics are claiming that this is “most satisfying version of this classic to date.” Ain’t it Cool News is reporting that this cut of the film will receive a theatrical release, sometime this summer with a DVD/Blu-Ray release just in time for Christmas. The report doesn’t specify an exact date, though I wouldn’t expect a classic silent film to screen in many more cities than New York and Los Angeles. What it does specify, however, is the sheer awesome that this rerelease emanates. Here’s a quote from AICN’s write-up on the event:

I wasn’t a huge Metropolis fan but an admirer. I didn’t love it the way I loved Sunrise, City Lights or Nosferatu but close. That might have changed. In this complete form and in this stellar shape (overall), Metropolis is a true wonder to behold, especially for any Science-Fiction or Art Deco fans. And from now on, no one will have to envision scenes from a card: Lang’s director’s cut is here.

Like any cinephile, I’d love to catch this in theaters. METROPOLIS is one of those movies that I wish I’d had the chance to see way back in 1927. But alas, Doc Brown refuses to let me bum a ride. Looks like I’ll be waiting for this restored original version to find a place on my DVD shelf, or if I’m lucky, perhaps I’ll be able to see this masterpiece in the cinema.

Source: AICN

Wow -- I saw the guys who were working on that at a trade show years ago. They had found some of the original lightning flashes and BG's, and were re-making the composites. I'd love to see this on a big screen with properly set up projectors.

-- J.S.

I'm not sure that is the same thing. A couple of years back they found a 16mm print of the entire film as it was originally supposed to be by Fritz Lang, in South America of all places! (No I'm not making this up!). Apparently it is in very bad condition but it is the only copy of this known to exist and is a massive shock for all of us who never expected to see this in its entirety. I'm not sure how this will intercut with the original footage which is obviously from loads better sources but you know everyone is very happy just to have the rest of the footage.

It would be great if it was the same people working on this tho, to re-make the composites and everything. It just sounds to me like two different projects, as redoing the composites would be a rather radical restoration (but one I would love to see!)

Maybe I'm wrong tho?

love

Freya

• 1 month later...