Music for a film?

peter michael

Real quick here.

If you are looking for music for a film, preferably independent music, do you usually rely on personal contacts/relationships, or is there a hub for finding good music, on the cheap, perhaps from musicians who just want to get their stuff out there who would be willing to do it for free if it meant being "in a movie"

thanks

Peter,

Your question is phrased in such a way as to sound disingenuous:

You are asking 'in theory' how people get their music, or you are trying to find a cheap/free source for your own project? Nothing wrong with either, but it's good to be clear when you ask.

If you are looking for yourself:

What is the project?

What is the audience?

What is the style of filmmaking?

What kind of music are you looking for?

Real instruments, samples or both?

How much music do you need?

There is a million home-recording musicians out there, along with god knows how many young conservatory-trained players/composers who can't get enough work, so the market is good. The results may vary, but...

I'd look at names from small film festivals to see who scored what and where you can get to talk to them.

Colleges. The music departments, by definition, will have such people in some form.

Gearslutz.com is a large board that has people from the high end of the sound/music industry down to people like me who dabble in writing and recording at home, so that wouldn't be a bad place to fish a bit.

"Free" carries its own cost. If only for the karma of it, a small payment is always better. Even if it is symbolic.

Claus.

Peter,

Your question is phrased in such a way as to sound disingenuous:

Sorry if my "early in the forum neutrality" comes off that way. I represent some 30 or so artists and am in the process of developing such a hub. I'm trying to find what is currently in the market. Looks to be a completely personal networking situation currently. There are some who claim to be "hubs" for artists meeting "industry professionals", like Taltopia for instance. But they really are more hype than anything. I think a the market needs a real hub (owned and operated by musicians representing themselves), who could use their collective work to cater to the demand of the market.

Artists would put their original work into a pool, understanding that they would be willing to enter that song, royalty free, into 1 movie. 10 songs from the group (of over at least 100) would be chosen by vote of the general public, and those 10 songs would be submitted to a group of ready movie producers. Those movie producers would then have direct negotiations with the individual artists. I function as the organizer. A growing number of artists know that I am all about helping the community and nothing more. There is no such "hub" in existence, as I mention. There are great number of pay services that promise big things, but what really is important to me personally as an artist who represents other artists? I would think a simple metric an artist would appreciate is having their name in the IMDB would be a start. I'm big on many little steps adding up to something large.

That's the starting point for my model, currently. But make no mistake, this is just moving the initial chess pieces. The inevitable result of the above model being a success would be defining a hub where top talent could reliably be put in front of those making big films, and it would no longer need a contest based filter or a free approach, but would simply be a point of meeting between music and movie, but could be quality oriented to a degree that it could become a database of original music, divided by genre, with contact information to the artist, and divided by price brackets of free / X price /and price to be negotiated,

But right now I'm developing the catalog of music, and making friends with alot of musicians. The initial contest kicks off April 1, to be concluded on May 1.

So...

should i make it genre specific, or just encourage all original music? (i know genre specificity comes later anyway)

and...

do i have your interest?

Edited by peter michael

As far as the representation. i represent all artists to the point that i get their foot in the door. after that it is always their deal, unless they have already asked me to handle things for them. i can obviously see being a rep as a possibility in the future, but for right now, there is way too much on my plate until my investors really kick in, to have any time for anything other than promotion, and setting up these various models. (this is part 5 of over a dozen)

Edited by peter michael