Anyone know the coating used on the older anamorphic lenses?

• Premium Member

Just trying to figure out the kind of coating used on the older anamorphic lens elements such as the Todd-Ao/Older Panavision/old lomos which gives them a strong blue flare. Someone once told me what the coating was but I cant seem to recall it. Thanks for any help!

Just trying to figure out the kind of coating used on the older anamorphic lens elements such as the Todd-Ao/Older Panavision/old lomos which gives them a strong blue flare. Someone once told me what the coating was but I cant seem to recall it. Thanks for any help!

About russian LOMO lenses.

All professional cinema lenses, spherical , anamoprhic have coating.

The russian old anamoprhic lenses, with square front glass, NAS, BAS have cooating too.

The procedure of re-coating ask special technical request from lenses.

The componnets must be do not glue, because, high temperature coating can destroy of glue.

The procedure re-loading ask of additional tools for polisnig of old surface and keep value of

surface curvature of glass component.

Thta's why, the procedure re-coating expencive and do not profitable for single lens.

• Premium Member

Thanks for your knowledge olex- Im not trying to recoat a single lens, but do a whole batch of non- anamorphic stand alone glass optics- Are you able to do this sorta thing Olex? Looking for that same coating on the old squarefront lomos circa the first Solaris.

• Premium Member
Thanks for your knowledge olex- Im not trying to recoat a single lens, but do a whole batch of non- anamorphic stand alone glass optics- Are you able to do this sorta thing Olex? Looking for that same coating on the old squarefront lomos circa the first Solaris.

The last quote I got from a couple years back on lens re-coating was $195.00 per surface. Take an easy lens with only seven elements and it comes out to $2,730.00 to re-coat the whole thing. As you might guess, re-coating isn't done very often. I think it is worth it if you have a very good lens with something like only outer element wear. Your stand-alone scope-ments might be worth it. I can see some sense in that.

It also makes me wonder if they could be put in front of my Nikons with any success.