In Good Company

In Good Company.

Don't know how exactly I ended up seeing this film. It's absolutely terrible.

No technical comments here, just warding all off from seeing this nightmare of American mediocrity and middling class hullabaloo.

One critic said he had to give credit to the film for even broaching the subject of corporate takeovers and the impact on the employees, particularly middle aged executives with little hope of finding work elsewhere and families to support.

We sure, I'll agree in part with the critic and say most H-wood films steer clear of this stuff but in the end everything turns out ok and nobody gets hurt. There is the fact that the husband and wife unit have to take out a second mortage to send the daughter to NYU so she can study creative writing and anthropology, but this doesn't appear to be a real buden esp considering that Quad's character loses his job and then gets it back (rugged individualist standing up to the man).

Not a great case study...more like American mythmaking in the raw.

As for the shooting, blocking and assemblage. Nothing special.

Alain

• Premium Member

I agree with Bill.

I actually liked the movie. For a movie to be good, it does not need to end "realistically". It just needs to be good, whatever that is. Was this the best film I have ever seen? No, not at all, but it certainly was far from the worst. I liked it.

Kevin Zanit

• 1 month later...

I'm going all out, balls to the wall, and saying this movie kicked ass! Every aspect of it appealed to me. I'm a huge fan of scarlet, topher, and dennis, and thought they were excellently cast. Plus, I'm around the age of Topher's charachter and am going through a divorce, and I thought the film almost perfectly captured the subtlties of such an emotionally charged event. Movies like this and Garden State and Napolean Dynamite which all seem to share common threads, have a welcome place in my collection.