Film Chemistry

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any books on film chemistry. I'm interested in finding out how the emulsion is made what it is made of. Kind of the whole process of how motion picture film is made. Also any how to make DIY motion picture film.

I'm curious if it is possible once kodak and fuji go under and motion picture film is a thing of the past and all the short ends and re-cans are like water in Mad Max 2, if making it is a viable option.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any books on film chemistry. I'm interested in finding out how the emulsion is made what it is made of. Kind of the whole process of how motion picture film is made. Also any how to make DIY motion picture film.

I'm curious if it is possible once kodak and fuji go under and motion picture film is a thing of the past and all the short ends and re-cans are like water in Mad Max 2, if making it is a viable option.

Sorry, I don't have the information for you. But I can say, diy motion pictue film is possible as it has been done. Naturally in black and white only. And the results would be extremely random, patchy and variable. If you are an experimental film maker, then its worth experimenting with. The emulsion is applied as best you can to recycled film base. If you are in to conventional cinema, then it is absolutely impossible to even approach the quality control required. My two cents. But since we are talking black and white remember there is ORWO and Foma. Yes, there is an image on the net of a diy film making machine. And again this image was circulated more recently from a 'diy kodachrome machine' link. I think that was wishful thinking on the part of someone who saw the diy emulsion machine.

Kodak used to have some useful publications, but they aren't as forthcoming on the details of film manufacture as you might want. after all, it's their business, why give it away?

The texts Karl pointed to are good for the underlying theory.

Or you could start with http://www.enotes.com/how-products-encyclo...otographic-film

Or for fun,