Quality Arri Standard Mount Lenses

Zack Jones

Hi,

I'm considering getting into 16mm film. I've always loved film and I wanted to learn the basics of the workflow and technique for shooting on film. This would be more of a hobby than anything.

Anyway, I was looking at purchasing an Arri S. I contacted Visual Products and they offer some nice packages. One they quoted me on included a set of Rodenstock primes. Does anyone have experience with these lenses on the Arri St Mount? How do they compare with others offered by Zeiss, Cooke, Schneider, ect?

I checked out Tim Carroll's Arri 16s site and looked at the comparisons there (a great resource!). The Cooke Kinetal lenses look excellent. I'm wondering if I should look for those instead.

What are your guys opinions?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Hi, from my limited experiance with Cooke and Schneider lenes, namely the TTH 12.5 T2, 25MM T2 and the Schneider 10mm f1.8 and 25mm f1.4, i found the schneider to be sharper, especially wide open, found the 12.5 to go woolly at the edges when wide open. All the lenses were in perfect condition, and correct back focus. On flatter days, i tended to opt for the TTH lenses as they gave a warmer look to the image. A late summers evening i would also choose the TTH lenses. kodachrome 25 and tth glass what memories...