Sony EX import - possible with my set up ?

Chris Millar

Hello all,

my spex:

Macbook pro running 10.6.2

Final Cut Studio 3

Sony EX1

I used to plug in my SxS cards and import using some sony application then dump em straight into FCP and away I go... Right so with snow leopard you've got issues galore - the net is riddled with info that may or may not be relevant any more and it seems like there is a Sony website for every country on the planet, each with slightly different or zero takes on the situation. There is no one go to place to find the process for your set up and then simply provide the required links for the drivers, applications and plug-ins.

It'd take too long to explain what I've tried and what hasn't worked so far but the closest I've come to getting some footage on my mac is via connecting the camera via USB (very uncool) and using the clip browser - I can see my footage !! wow !! getting close ! - but it only gives me the option of exporting as file types that dont sound very fun to me:

flavors of .mxf - DV - Avid - windows - PSP - ipod

What happened to good ol' .mov ?? :blink:

As an aside I'm quite flummoxed as to how there is next to zero information from Sony as to how to go about getting footage from their cameras into FCP3 (in 10.6.2) - that being said there may well be info, but it is impossible to search for it as there are a trillion other results re. version xpzt34 under 10.4.6 with respect to ZxzP80.5 dated 2008 white paper x ref 23/45/2010 from the Canadian time USB4.0 server and so on (and on, and on, and on

and on

and ...)

What a mess

There might be a solution, probably staring me in the face - but it's proving impossible thus far to find it - one of those technology that is meant to help doing nothing but hinder moments.

Sony has really effed this up

man,

ha ha - I must sound like a right moaner ...

FINALLY got the FCP log and transfer function to work - didn't work first time round - likely user error (?)

anyway - most of the moan still applies - I've spent 2 hours farting about online following dead ends, installing crap I'm not sure I need, restarted mac twice, opened and read maybe 20 sites worth of info and written my own little bit of what may become mis-information in months to come (this thread itself)

So process so far goes like this:

F$%k the SxS - it's a dead end

You have to use the camera in USB mode (which means the usefulness of having been able to continue running the camera while a card was dumped elsewhere is GONE)

Copy files using the EX Clip Browser to your HD (check CRC in the preferences I guess) - they are direct copies, 'BPAV' folder

Then use log and transfer in FCP after having installed the plugin

DICKS - it was so much better before !

I can blame Sony for me finding this out via you and not them (nor Apple) - I can also blame them for dragging the chain regardless of whose fault it is, it is still in Sonys best interest to get it working again, the whole point of two SxS slots on the camera has been made redundant (one of the cameras more interesting features for doco type/'event' work).

In lieu of the status quo I'd just some information, but not this scattershot and inconsistent stuff you find via google.

The next person to start searching for info will likely find the same hash of Sony haters posting on online forums themselves. I'm left with nothing but the shifting goalposts of fix dates ... Are they just sitting around blaming Apple ? Great business plan.

Ha - I'm ill today and grumpy ;)