Microphones?

Guest cristos7

Guest cristos7

Hi All,

I am something of a newbie to filmmaking, though I've acted professionally and directed (and wrote for and taught) in a variety of mediums in several states (NYC, LA, SF, blah blah...) and now nations. (I'm currently living in British Columbia)

My question is simple: all my research indicates that the Pan VX100A is unbeatable at or near it's price point of about 3k w/o microphone. (The XL2 sounds sweet but is untried and $1.5k ++ more; the PD170 certainly has its fans and limitations; the new HD cameras at the low end - $5k+ - are worrisome for what they lack out of ther box and what shortcomings may likely follow.)

That said (I am still open to contrary POV's re my camera choice...), what about the mic which Pan is marketing to go with the vx100a - what might be a better and cheaper choice(s)?

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledgeable opinions.

Namaste,

Chris

• Premium Member
Hi All,

I am something of a newbie to filmmaking, though I've acted professionally and directed (and wrote for and taught) in a variety of mediums in several states (NYC, LA, SF, blah blah...) and now nations. (I'm currently living in British Columbia)

My question is simple: all my research indicates that the Pan VX100A is unbeatable at or near it's price point of about 3k w/o microphone. (The XL2 sounds sweet but is untried and $1.5k ++ more; the PD170 certainly has its fans and limitations; the new HD cameras at the low end - $5k+ - are worrisome for what they lack out of ther box and what shortcomings may likely follow.)

That said (I am still open to contrary POV's re my camera choice...), what about the mic which Pan is marketing to go with the vx100a - what might be a better and cheaper choice(s)?

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledgeable opinions.

Namaste,

Chris

It's probably not cheaper but a good sennheiser can't really be beat. Something like a Sennheiser 416T is a great mic.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you looking for a 24P Camera? The big difference I could see between the DVX100A and the Canon XL2 is the Canon has over 200,000 more pixels, BNC for output to monitor and of course the new 3CCD chip that is slightly bigger so you can have a more true 16x9 chip. The view finder display may be more detail and the obvious, lens exchange. Weight the two out. Both the Canon XL2 and the DVX100A are both a 4:1:1 system.

A year ago I owned a DVX100, but upgraded and currently own the DVX100A. I've been happy with the image control on it and the XLR built in. That really is what is important, audio and being able to control you imagine. DVX100 does great in low light situation and the menu in the DVX100 are very easy to get in and out. :)

• Premium Member
Are you looking for a 24P Camera?  The big difference I could see between the DVX100A and the Canon XL2 is the Canon has over 200,000 more pixels, BNC for output to monitor and of course the new 3CCD chip that is slightly bigger so you can have a more true 16x9 chip.  The view finder display may be more detail and the obvious, lens exchange.  Weight the two out.  Both the Canon XL2 and the DVX100A are both a 4:1:1 system.

A year ago I owned a DVX100, but upgraded and currently own the DVX100A.  I've been happy with the image control on it and the XLR built in.  That really is what is important, audio and being able to control you imagine.  DVX100 does great in low light situation and the menu in the DVX100 are very easy to get in and out.  :)

The canon doesnt have 200,000 more pixels its just marketing hype. They've only shifted the green CCD horizontally 1/2 a pixel and included these in the pixel count. Extra pixels? NO!

If anything the Pan has more pixels! 410,000 in 4X3 as opposed to canons 345,600 in 4X3 since Panasonic doesnt do 16X9- yet.

From Canon:

"Each CCD sensor utilizes 461,760 pixels when recording in 16:9 Wide TV Mode, and 345,600 pixels in 4:3 Standard Mode"

"also incorporates advanced CCD technology called Horizontal Pixel Shift which, by horizontally shifting the green CCD one-half pixel, "

Guest Timothy Brown

Greetings Chris,

I have not used the mic that is advertised with the DVX, but I'm sure it's not up to spec with some of the other options available. IMO I would go to a camera manufacturer for a camera and a mic manufacturer for a mic. With that being said, if you intended to use the mic on camera-which is the worst possible place to put it-you should check out some of the Audio Technica offerings. Sennheiser makes wonderful mics in the $1000+USD range, but AT offers "better" lower-cost mics such as the 897 and the 4073, but "better" is all subjective and depends a lot on what your needs are.

If you can afford the AT4073, you would be doing well. At a price of approximately $550USD from B&H, this is a great short-shot that would fulfill most of your on-camera needs. If that is out of your budget, look to the AT897 which many pros think is the best sound mic for under $500USD. You can find it at B&H for about $280USD.

Check out http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.ar...=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

everything you want to know, but didn't know you needed to.

Hope this helps.

-Tim