Speed ramp question

Rommel Genciana

Hello all

We are shooting on RED ONE. We are looking to do a speed ramp from 24fps to 100fps, but being able to time with an action would be very difficult with our current set up, so I am planning to shoot the entire sequence in 100fps 2K RC36 16x9. Does anyone have a correct setting in Final Cut to make 100fps look like 24fps? Also I am having problems deciding what shutter angle/speed to shoot on. Does anyone know what would be the best shutter setting to keep things looking natural in 100fps as well as sped up in Final Cut to 24fps. We are working on a 23.98 Timeline.

Will I have problems with strobing shooting at 100fps? I am primarily using 4x4 Kinos and 1.2 HMI to complement location which is a supermarket which looks to use Daylight (Halogen?) bulbs? I'm not quite sure, as I will be scouting with my gaffer soon.

Any advice, input or guidance would be awesome.

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

He should be ok as long as he doesn't have any magnetic ballasts working. Electronic set to flicker free shouldn't (theoretically) induce flicker at 100fps. But do a test to be sure. Old balasts and old lamps can induce slight flicker. You could point each light individually to a gray chart and watch the waveform to check for flicker.

In final cut you would want to turn the speed of the clip to 416.66%. That will get you to 24fps, and on a 23.976 the speed difference shouldn't be noticeable. You might have to work with the audio, depending on how you do the conversion. This should essentially be the same as when you shoot 24fps on a xstal sync camera for a 23.976 finish.

You will probably want to turn frame blending off. If on there will be 4 or 5 distinctive layers on top of eachother. If there isn't much motion frame blending might make the sped up stuff look like it was on a 180 degree shutter, but most likely will fall apart and show the blending that is going on. With it off it will be sharp, but have the appearance of a 317 degree shutter.