C-Stand Clamp

Jeff Kolada

A while ago I was discussing a gripping situation with a friend, and he had recommended a certain type of clamp. I forget what he called it.

I basically need to use a c-stand as a boom arm. So I need something that will sit on a high-boy or similar strong sturdy stand, and hold a c-stand so that I can use the 12 feet of extension outwards over a scene.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Maffer clamp or a matholini on the head? Either that or a big ben on the top to make a kind of menace arm... don't people usually use speedrail for that though? I'd recommend some speed rail on a mambo -combo with a big ben for that. Then use some rachet straps and maffer clamps to make it sturdy at the long end.

Edited by Rob Vogt

Maffer clamp or a matholini on the head? Either that or a big ben on the top to make a kind of menace arm... don't people usually use speedrail for that though? I'd recommend some speed rail on a mambo -combo with a big ben for that. Then use some rachet straps and maffer clamps to make it sturdy at the long end.

What you are looking for is called a C-boom. Modern studio make one, and American Grip makes one. Use a steel Combo stand or heavier duty stand when doing this. Use a ratchet strap to counter the weight.

Yup, its a c-boom. There is the one version that looks like an ear for an overhead frame where you actually take the turtle base off a c-stand and clamp the post in it, which is held by a gobo head on a combo stand. I've also seen a modified version where rather than taking apart a c-stand, the boom is integrated into the "ear" which has a 5/8" receiver so it will go on another c-stand. Not as heavy duty and probably not properly called a c-boom but it is very similar. I think it is the Matth-boom.

Also, a slightly un-PC anecdote about c-booms: I worked with a key grip who was all about using mambo-combos and speed-rail to make menace arms, even when that was complete overkill. One time when the c-boom was suggested to him for a smaller light, he was opposed and referred to it as the "gay arm." The name is beginning to stick in Rochester.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, thanks guys, I appreciate the help. Looks like the "gay-arm" it is.

Yeah, I stopped by a local grip/rental house and chatted with the owner. He showed me both the c-boom clamps and the matthews boom thing. Both are valid options. I'm not really feeling using speed-rail to make a "menace arm" due to having a very limited/light stand inventory and children running around the set.