Inside shot with beaulieu camera super 8

Hi,

I want to shoot a sequence by day in a living room, my key light would be the natural light coming from the window but my fill light would be artificial. I'm using a Beaulieu 4008 ZMTT. Should I keep the in-camera filter made for daylight or should I insert the keyfilter made for artificial light ?

Thanks

• Premium Member

A.

Try to get daylight for the interior artifical fill. If you can't and have to use tungsten (bulbs) then use a CTB (blue) gel to match the light a little towards a color temp of 5600 K.

B.

The 8mm standard film was tungsten balanced (Kodachrome K40). This means that all cameras have the orange filter (85B) in its DAYLIGHT (mostly a SUN icon) switch to match the exterior color temp to tungsten.

So if you use daylight stock the switch has to be in the BULB position - that's when the filter is out of the way.

That camera shutter runs at 1/86 when filming at 24fps, whats the formula to getting the proper exposure? I use to know it but I forgot! as for your question, The Beaulieu has an internal uv and 85a filter, I wouldent recommend filming with out a test shot! if it looks good use the 85a internal filter for your scene, it will look good! if you dont you might get some blue and then again, that might add flaove to the scene as well, but I just need to know how your setting your hand held meter? its 24-1/50 on the meter dial but the camera shoots at 24-1/86 whats the forumal to adjust?

That camera shutter runs at 1/86 when filming at 24fps, whats the formula to getting the proper exposure? I use to know it but I forgot! as for your question, The Beaulieu has an internal uv and 85a filter, I wouldent recommend filming with out a test shot! if it looks good use the 85a internal filter for your scene, it will look good! if you dont you might get some blue and then again, that might add flaove to the scene as well, but I just need to know how your setting your hand held meter? its 24-1/50 on the meter dial but the camera shoots at 24-1/86 whats the forumal to adjust?

Hey, you came here with a good question. I can't answer yet, I'll have to check. I was kinda thinking rolling at 18fps anyway to save film but it might be a bad idea in terms of quality I guess.

A.

Try to get daylight for the interior artifical fill. If you can't and have to use tungsten (bulbs) then use a CTB (blue) gel to match the light a little towards a color temp of 5600 K.

B.

The 8mm standard film was tungsten balanced (Kodachrome K40). This means that all cameras have the orange filter (85B) in its DAYLIGHT (mostly a SUN icon) switch to match the exterior color temp to tungsten.

So if you use daylight stock the switch has to be in the BULB position - that's when the filter is out of the way.

Thanks!