EX3 Zoom Remote

Guest Owen Parker

Guest Owen Parker

Hi Folks,

Recently invested in an EX3 having not owned a "big" camera in over 15 years.

(I say 'big' in the sense that it has a professional style lens)

I need advice/suggestions for a pan bar mounted zoom control for the standard VCL-614B2X lens.

Much as I love the camera, especially since it's barely 3 months old and it's nearly paid for itself already, I have a major niggle with it's operation.

As an Ex ENG camera op, I now find myself operating again.

The EX3 immediately feels 'right' when you start to use it, except for the zoom control.

I instinctively put my left hand onto the lens.

My thumb is their ready to tweak the exposure, my little finger ready to adjust focus and my index finger and second finger reach to rest on the zoom control...

Trouble is the zoom control ain't there!

Now most of you will say 'quit moaning and get on with it' and you'd be right too.

But those of you who are used to shooting ENG with Canon or Fuji lenses will know what I'm talking about.

The ergonomics of those lenses allowed for all the control you needed with just one hand because the zoom servo is mounted further forward than on the EX3.

(I am of course talking about the camera being on legs where your right hand is on the pan bar - shoulder mounted the cameras fine - once you've found the right balance)

I know I can swap the lens for a Canon or Fuji, but the supplied lens is very good and I have other people using the camera who aren't

old farts like me and have grown up with PD-150's and XL1's who like the auto features on the supplied lens.

What I'd like is the old style Canon/Fuji zoom demand but for this lens.

So, what controllers are people using?

What controllers should I avoid?