Help with lighting and a VINYL Banner in backdrop

Here is the set up but I need advice from seasoned people

I am doing a short video and the majority of camera shots are pointed at a figure at a table with a vinyl banner in the backdrop, actually 2 feet behind the actor. This is all indoors

These are the type of vinyl banners you see hanging out in front of "new" stores or at sporting events at high schools. The banner I have is white with some colored text, a small photo on it, it is 2 feet high by 5 feet long

I plan on using soft light to avoid hard light on the banner as I need to avoid any glaring light reflection or hot spots

My question is, would a circular polarizing filter on the camcorder help me in regards to any light reflection on the vinyl banner or no?

I'm not looking to eliminate all glares as in reality a banner would show that in a room with lights but I don't want to much of this on the banner where it is distracting from the subject

My light kit is a Lowel kit and I have about 7 lowel lights; some lowel pros, totas and omni's. I have lots of modifiers for my lights - barndoors, gel frames, snoots, umbrellas, falg set, etc..... My plan was to umbrella the lighting (white umbrella) and put those off to the side of the banner, not in front of it becasue of possible reflection or a large hot spot

My background is, I have some experience, I can light good, I'm not great though. I really take my time and use a monitor. I also use a light meter at times just to gauge things here and there if need be

Any help from people more seasoned individuals would be much appreciated on this subject

Thank you for your time and any responses

David Smith

http://www.skyjamvideos.com

Edited by David A Smith

I plan on using soft light to avoid hard light on the banner as I need to avoid any glaring light reflection or hot spots

Add more light for background to kill all shadows from the actor. Not too much ;) And soft light for actor of course. Your banner is to close to the actor - only 2 feets. 5 or more feets could be much better.

Are text and image printed on the banner?

My question is, would a circular polarizing filter on the camcorder help me in regards to any light reflection on the vinyl banner or no?

I think a polarizing filter will not help. Pay attention to KNEE of your camcorder.

• 1 year later...