Kodak discontinuing Plus-X negative

The super 8 sites are buzzing with the news that Kodak has just discontinued Plus-X reversal.

But they're also quietly cutting Plus-X negative in both 16 and 35, and only keeping Double-X in both formats. Any comments from the pros on this? Plus-X was kind of a legendary old stock.

• Premium Member
But they're also quietly cutting Plus-X negative in both 16 and 35, and only keeping Double-X in both formats. Any comments from the pros on this? Plus-X was kind of a legendary old stock.

Where did you hear that? I can understand cutting the reversal stock, but cutting 7231 and 5231 seems a bit drastic.

• Premium Member
Its in the latest 'discontinued stock' list:

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploadedFiles/PCN040710_Q.pdf

bugger.

WOW...that's unreal and extremely upsetting. Why are so many 16mm Vision stocks going as well? They usually create a new stock before tossing an old one.

I never thought Kodak would just dump 7231. I just finished a film on that. Such a beautiful stock.

The 16mm stocks seem to be mostly odd pitches and perfs-- like 2-perf has taken a big hit, and so have 100 foot rolls and 1-roll minimum quantities.

I wonder how many lab stocks will get hit-- last month they also discontinued 35mm high-contrast panchromatic-- which they probably sold, what, maybe 500 feet of in the last 10 years? Not much call for B/W 35mm titling film. Probably most of it went for still users.

I suspect next it will be B/W release print stock on acetate-- the old 'positive' film --which most users buy to use as cheap camera film.

I never thought Kodak would just dump 7231. I just finished a film on that. Such a beautiful stock.

I'm really upset. This is fantastically bad news for me. 7231 is my favourite Kodak stock. I don't actually like double x at all. For myself I would only really want double x to intercut in a plus x project where there is not enough light for a scene and to be honest I'd probably rather push the plus x.

I think Kodak have got this the wrong way round and should have deleted double x instead. I uderstand why they think they need to keep the latter, as being faster it should be more versatile but I think they are wrong. If you push plus-x 1 stop it is about 200 ASA which is plenty fast enough really.

Is plus-x also going in 35mm still format?

This announcement has quite shaken me!

love

Freya

This is a real bummer. I shoot 5222 and 5231 in my stills camera. Just glad I have some cans in the freezer but will visit my supplier today!

As far as I know Plus-X 35mm stills is not on the execution list.