Fogging vs. flashing film

Naveen

Hi,

I posted this on the 16mm boards, but I didn't get an answer, so I'm trying here in the general boards.

Does anyone know of a way to INTENTIONALLY fog Super 16mm film? To be more specific: I want the fogging to be organic, not unlike the random flashes of light that one would see at the head and tail of most daylight spools, for example. I'm less interested in flashing the film, which I am told has a more uniformed look across the frame and is generally less contrasty (please correct me if I'm wrong on this definition).

My reasons for this are mostly creative, as I want to incorporate the fogged/rolling out "film-look" into my thesis project... but outside of actually shooting film for the actual roll-out, I know of no other way to achieve this effect. I'd like to have as much control as possible.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it greatly. Thanks a bunch.

-Naveen

You are a little vague in what you want to achieve.

Why don't you load the camera, go into a room with low light (or into the sunlight depending on the amount of fogging you want), remove the turret cap from the lens port and roll the camera? Rewind the roll of film, if you want, by reversing the camera movement and... you have fogged film.

If you're shooting with an SR, pop the mag off, or start and stop the camera where you want the flashes. But it sounds like for what you want, maybe this would be much easier and more controllable as a post effect, assuming you're finishing on tape. very very easy to do in after effects!

Edited by PatrickNeary