Down-convert 4K DPX to 2K DPX etc.

Benjamin Loeb

Hi,

I am in the final stages of post production for a 35mm short.

We got the film scanned to 4K DPX files and have gotten proxies done

from that. The edit is now done and we are trying to figure out what our

best workflow path would be for grading.

I have access to an 8-core Mac Pro with 16GB of Ram, any of you think that

it might be able to handle a 4K DPX workflow? If not I think my best bet is to

take the files down to 2K.

#1: So, in regards tot this I am wondering what the best way of down-converting the 4K

DPX files to 2K DPX files would be? From what I have read and heard smoke and

compressor (with Gluetools) can do this. But is there any way to do this conversion

without the Gluetools plugin? I just found the GraphicsMagick software online and from

what I understand it does the job. Does anyone have any experience with this software?

Any tips for other ways to downres. a 4K DPX file?

Once this is done I need to get the conform done.

#2: My second questions is what software, or workflow, would suit me best for my conform (be it 4K or 2K). Would going through an EDL process with Color be good or would Gluetools through FCP media manager do the job better? Any other tips or help would be appreciated in regards to the conform process.

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

Any tips for other ways to downres. a 4K DPX file?

#2: My second questions is what software, or workflow, would suit me best for my conform (be it 4K or 2K). Would going through an EDL process with Color be good or would Gluetools through FCP media manager do the job better? Any other tips or help would be appreciated in regards to the conform process.

Thanks for the help!

Using GlueTools with FCP would work fine. You can use Autodesk Combustion to downconvert from 4k to 2k and even 1080 HD if you like. BTW, even with a Fiber Channel RAID that can sustain 600MB/ second, you will not

have normal 24fps playback onscreen. Using The Canvas/Viewer set to 50% on a 2K file should get you smooth playback. MAKE SURE QUICKTIME IS SET TO 10-bit, NOT 8-bit. What type of LUT (look up table) are you using?