Sunrise Photography

Hi all,

Heading out to shoot a sunrise over the desert. Shooting on 35mm spherical - probably the old Fuji 125T as its what I'll have available.

Any tips/experiences on shooting a sunrise? Any preferred filters? Should I go no filtration since I hear people sometimes have ghosting problems?

Thanks.

Hi all,

Heading out to shoot a sunrise over the desert. Shooting on 35mm spherical - probably the old Fuji 125T as its what I'll have available.

Any tips/experiences on shooting a sunrise? Any preferred filters? Should I go no filtration since I hear people sometimes have ghosting problems?

Thanks.

Shoot it at sunset and reverse the film. You can frame it ahead of time and sunsets last longer. Sunrises are always a surprise.

Yeah... Sunrises can be difficult to capture. I recall attempting to shoot a sunrise in Connecticut some years ago... I believe we were awake and set up on the beach maybe five to seven days in a row, hoping for the best. Never got it due to fog or other weather.

I think that it was finally solved by flying back to LA and shooting a sunset and reversing it. The advantage is being able to accurately frame it up while it's light out and you more or less know that you'll get it or not.