Hi,

we've just had some of our work put up onto the internet for people to look at, if anyone has the time could they give me some feedback on our film in terms of colour, composition, light etc.

Unfortunately the film doesn't add up too a great deal but be patient, some of the shots are held a little too long and some perhaps unessacery. It was meant to be a kind of an experimental short.

My job was Camera Op and DP (if I can call myself that). Click on Delph at the top left of the screen to view our film.

http://www.media-arts.mmu.ac.uk/filmhome.html

Cheers

Guy

Yeh I agree totally, it doesn't work, I tried to do my best with the job I was given. I think we all had different ideas and so it ended up being something totally different to what origonally set out to make.

What technical info would you like?

Shot on XL1s in Southport, Merseyside. Used a polariser for the daytime shots.

I edited it in FCP 4 HD. Used the custom gradients also in FCP quite a bit, what do you think, OTT? Also I boosted the constrast and brought the brightness down slightly. I also added a little gaussian blur to take the crispness (is that a word?) of the video out. For most of the shots I boosted the oranges and browns using the 3-way CC, to try to keep a colour consistancy throughout.

Guy

Edited by Meach

Yeh I had this problem too, if you have quicktime go into Quicktime preferences and click Transport setup, click - Use this protocol and port ID, set Transport Protocol to HTTP and click other Port ID and type in 554.

Don't be put off by this, it only takes a sec and it's really easy, any probs let me know!

Cheers

Guy

Just watched it. There are some really nice shots in there. I did not think the post grads were over the top, I actually felt they worked quite well. I plan to experiment with digital grads just to see how far I can go before it starts looking "fake", and also test what I can do with digital color grads. Though I can't say for sure, as I'm not sure how far you pushed it, the color correction held up well without any obvious artifacts coming from the limited colorspace of DV (the Quicktime compression may have hid these artifacts?). Overall, images were a little dark I'd say, but this could've been what you were going for.