New Zeiss Compact Prime "CP"

• Premium Member

Hopefully Mitch will see this...

Seen anything from these yet? Curious if they are "real" Zeiss or just sold through them but built in China, etc.?

Is the interchangeable mounting (EF/PL) truly commercial quality?

Someone had to ask. ;)

• Premium Member
Hopefully Mitch will see this...

Seen anything from these yet? Curious if they are "real" Zeiss or just sold through them but built in China, etc.?

Is the interchangeable mounting (EF/PL) truly commercial quality?

I should think so, the Abel booth at NAB was showing the CP.2's. I think I saw Mitch demonstrating them to someone.

Then there was the Angenieux 15-40mm Optimo hanging off a 7D with a PL adapter in Angenieux's booth. $45K lens on an $1.6K body. Yes, the picture was glorious.

Compact Primes share the same optical formula as the consumer-grade ZF-still-lenses. The ZF-lenses are designed by Zeiss but manufactured by Cosina (and tested with Zeiss-equipment) in Japan, the Compact Primes on the other side are manufactured to tighter tolerances by Carl Zeiss in Jena/Oberkochen (although I think the mechanical elements are made by a supplier elsewhere in Germany - shouldn't be an issue ;-).

• Premium Member

I heard from a friend that the mechanics are very nice. He reserved his opinion about the optics until he has a chance to use them in real world situations but said they seem nice enough.

I was able to get my hands on the new 50mm Zeiss CP at the Camerimage Festival in Poland last November. I was riding in a car with one of the guys from Zeiss headquarters who had one on his 5DmarkII. From the very limited time I had with it, I was very very impressed!

Alex

www.alexdisenhof.com