firewire/non-firewire issues

So it's time for me to upgrade my laptop--my sole editing computer, for the time being--and there's this REALLY SWWWEEEEEEEEETTTT Asus model (g73jh-series) I got my eye on, especially for my budget. I mean, it's got EVERYTHING: 1-gig dedicated graphics, Intel quadcore i7 processor, ram expandable up to 8G, 17.3 inch screen, TWO fans (which'll help, really). Problem is, it doesn't have any firewire or pci slots to adapt firewire into. Just some USBs (2.0), hdmi, ethernet. And it doesn't look like a firewire port can be installed on the computer.

My question is, Is there a way for me to adapt or bypass the need for firewire stuff? For instance, by finding another way transfer/cache data? Some kind of firewire to usb interface/intermediary--even if it means things will take longer to process, just as long as it doesn't cause any data loss. I really don't feel like I need to edit straight off the camera/deck--I've been doing it between harddrives this long--but I also don't want to cause any problems in the future, especially as I go over to HD, since I plan to use this computer for the next couple of years.

Please, I'm not looking for suggestions such as "get yourself a mac". I'm pretty sold on Asus (and Sony Vegas), and the only other model I'm really considering right now is the G51j-series, which DOES have a 1394. For everything I've seen, ASUS has the most bang for the buck. I'm just more into g73jh-models.

Thanks.

There's a cable that may work:

http://www.gigaweb.com/products/view/18742...d-firewire.html

But as far as I know USB and Firewire are pretty much mutually exclusive for most pro video apps, at least on Macs they are. In my experience, the video data won't flow properly --if at all-- when you go out USB and try to convert it to Firewire. But I haven't tried that cable.

I'd look for an Asus laptop that does have Firewire or buy the one you want and just live without it if the above cable doesn't work. Of course you can order the cable first and try it on USB port off a similar PC and go from there. . .

Thanks for your replies. I had checked out both the products previously, and, one is no longer being manufactured, and the other's firewire and usbs are completely seperate (I guess the only got them bundled together for 'convenience' and semi-deceptive marketing). I was thinking about someway, perhaps, I could get the data into a different device for harddrive storage or something like that, which I could then retrieve via usb. But mostly it just seems too cumbersome an idea after doing some research (and I could always use my old laptop, which DOES have firewire, if that's the route I wanna go).

The lack-of-1393 (AND eSata, AND pci, AND usb 3.0) is one of the issues a lot of reviewers have brought up in regards to the G73jh models. . . I even wrote to Asus myself to gripe about the problem (call me a loon). It's my feeling that in a few months they're going to have a version that's firewire capable in a few months. . .we'll see. The G51 models aren't bad at all when it comes to what's inside, so I'll be more than content with that if need be.

Aside from all this though, I'd recommend that you check out Asus' computers. If it was just the price that would be one thing. But the specs, and I've done some HARD research, are hard to beat.