Finding Scripts and Working with Writers...

Landon D. Parks

I have two questions, both to do with writing:

#1: Let's say you hire a writer to write a script for you. You give him all your idea's, and he places them into a script. But then when he's done writing, who' does the script actually belong too?

If it's the writer, then after paying him and everything, he could just take the script and say "Hell with you" after getting your ideas.

Is there some kind of legally binding control that states that anything the writer writes about your story belong to you, or what?

#2: Where on the interenet is it possible to read through screenplays that are yet to be produced.

Zoetrope had something like this, but i'm looking for a much wider database, that contains several thousand readbale script and not just 30 or 40.

And also a database that dont require you to jump through a bunch of hurdles to read the scripts.

@ zoetrope, you had to read and review 4 scripts before being able to see the rest of them. At another place I check out, you had to "Request" to read the writers script.

Is there any good old fashion way to just go online and read through scripts organized by genre that don't rewquire all this other jazz?

P.S) And yes, I have searched google and yahoo, but all seem to lead to already published scripts. And I'm having no luck with them, so I figured I'd come to the place I like to call the "Forum of knowlege" aka, Cinematography Forum.

Thanks!

Edited by Landon D. Parks

Guest Sean McVeigh
#1: Let's say you hire a writer to write a script for you. You give him all your idea's, and he places them into a script. But then when he's done writing, who' does the script actually belong too?

If it's the writer, then after paying him and everything, he could just take the script and say "Hell with you" after getting your ideas.

Is there some kind of legally binding control that states that anything the writer writes about your story belong to you, or what?

I can only answer this half for you. It's called a contract. Make sure one is signed before hiring anyone to do anything. In this contract you can state things like who the rights belong to, set limits on what can be done with the work, how much they are to be compensated, etc. Typically when one party is paid to perform work for another party, the former assigns the rights to the latter. This is because you have just compensated them for their work (payment).

If the work is an existing one, then typically you are paying to be given the right to turn it into a film or whatever. Rights can be exclusive or nonexclusive. Exclusive rights are much more expensive because by signing them over, the author no longer has the option to grant them to anyone else.

Anyways, I am not a lawyer, so as always, consult one before getting into any of this. And remember, verbal contracts are non-binding in most parts of the world.. get things on paper.

• Premium Member

It's just a contract issue: you pay the writer something so that the material is owned by you. His contract states that he waves any ownership of the material, although if he is in the WGA, there are certain rules you have to follow in the contract about payment, payment for any rewrites, residuals, credits, etc.

In terms of credit, you may get the "Story by" credit while he gets the "screenplay by" or "written by" credit.