Shooting Vision2 200t on Canon 1014-xls

Rory MacMillan

hi there,

So after working on a 35mm music video (with my background mainly being working with digital) I had that 'I should get my own super8 camera to experiment with film' feeling, but then let it slide. Two years later and I finally get around to it. I purchased my own Canon 1014xls a couple of weeks ago and after a test on Ektachrome 64t everything seems to be in working order. I will be shooting on some v2 200t(day) and v3 500t (night) stock next week for a road trip down to London and some night shooting too when im down there. Before my purchase I read through about 20 pages of these forums along with a couple of weeks research on all the best super8 websites, but not being fully familiar with the camera or with this stock just yet, I was wondering if those of you with experience would be able to give me some hints and tips for shooting on the fly - whether to shoot on auto exposure for ease or to take your time with shots and shoot on manual; whether to use an external light meter as opposed to the one built-in; whether to shoot on infinity focus; whether to use an external 85 filter; whether I need to store the stock in a mini-fridge or just make sure I dont leave them in the sun; whether I have to take 100 AA batteries with me, or just 20. I found that upon reading through these forums people seemed to disagree with each other on a number of these points. I would be interested to hear what you have to say. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rory

Guest OriolBM

hi there,

So after working on a 35mm music video (with my background mainly being working with digital) I had that 'I should get my own super8 camera to experiment with film' feeling, but then let it slide. Two years later and I finally get around to it. I purchased my own Canon 1014xls a couple of weeks ago and after a test on Ektachrome 64t everything seems to be in working order. I will be shooting on some v2 200t(day) and v3 500t (night) stock next week for a road trip down to London and some night shooting too when im down there. Before my purchase I read through about 20 pages of these forums along with a couple of weeks research on all the best super8 websites, but not being fully familiar with the camera or with this stock just yet, I was wondering if those of you with experience would be able to give me some hints and tips for shooting on the fly - whether to shoot on auto exposure for ease or to take your time with shots and shoot on manual; whether to use an external light meter as opposed to the one built-in; whether to shoot on infinity focus; whether to use an external 85 filter; whether I need to store the stock in a mini-fridge or just make sure I dont leave them in the sun; whether I have to take 100 AA batteries with me, or just 20. I found that upon reading through these forums people seemed to disagree with each other on a number of these points. I would be interested to hear what you have to say. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rory

Hi Rory,

I'm a director from Barcelona and I'm having the exact same problems that you have. I'll shoot 6 cartridges of Vision 2 200T in three weeks with my Canon 1014. I'm specially interested in your question about using the in build light meter or an external one. So I hope someone can advice us.

Now, regarding your question for the external 85 filter, as long as you detect no problems with the internal one, you don't need to buy an external.

But, if you want to make it easier on yourself and don't want to spend time carving notches on your negative cartridges, you should use the external filter. Just remember that you will lose 1\3 stops and that the film will be detected as 250 ASA Daylight.

Oriol

Hi - I fully recommend using a screw on 85b or as I use a B+W KR-12 Filter. The reason for this is that the inbuilt colour conversion filter on the camera is made of plastic and becomes pitted over time. A high quality glass filter screwed on the lens will improve resolution and colour.

I also recommend using the automatic light meter as it is calibrated to the light lost through all those lens elements in that 10x Canon zoom lens. You can use the auto exposure like a 'spot meter' zoom in on your important scene take the reading - use the 'AE Lock' and zoom out - I do this for faces and back light scenes - works well.

Please see my video clip below - Vision2 200T shot with a Canon 1014xl-s and B+W KR-12 filter screwed on the lens.

Hope this helps - best regards, Jamie

• Upvote 1