Canon 814-XLS Sync Sound Questions

Kirk Anderson

Alright, so I'm going to be getting a Canon 814 XLS and I want to be able to shoot sync sound with it.

So, I was thinking about buying the "Crystal Control Unit" from the Film Group.

My questions are:

1) How do I use it?

Can I hook it up to the camera and use a Zoom recorder? As long as I slate it?

I saw a cool video on Pro 8mm of their sync camera and using sound on the iphone. It was pretty cool.

2) Do I need to run any cables to the sound recorder?

3) I want to shoot some music videos, so if I have this unit and I shoot the film to the track off a MP3 player everything should sync right?

4) Are there any other options for shooting sound other than the unit from the film group?

Seems like a good deal for $500.

Thanks in advance!

Kirk

In response to item #4 you can use 50 ft k40 striped film which i am selling at $25 per roll if you buy more than 5 rolls.5 or less than 5 they sell for $35 each. film processing from dwaynes is about $10 shipping of stock and insurance is extra at cost. :)

The Film Group unit looks excellent, and I think that is a great price if you want crystal speeds.

Crystal controlled speeds aren't essential, but they do make life a LOT easier when it comes to editing.

You can use any sound recorder that runs at a constant speed. Anything digital will do that.

No, you don't need to run any cables to the recorder.

YEs, if you shoot to audio from an mp3 player then the footage shot will be able to be edited in sycn with that mp3 track.

How to use? As soon as you start filming the camera will be running at the crystal speed. You then need a clap so that you can line up the audio and film during editing. You follow the normal 'slate' proceedure. Turn on the sound recorder (if recording sound), read the slate, turn on the camear (with it pointing at the slate with all the shot info on it) then clap the slate and keep filming. Will remain in sync until the camera is turned off.

richard