Exposing and processing PXR 7276

I recently came across an old Super-8 cart of PXR 7276. It was stored in an air-conditioned room for the past several years, but there was no special storage. I have no clue of the actual age of the film, and I don't know how to decode the date code.

I am going to try to shoot the film on nothing important. I was planning on overexposing a stop to compensate for age, but I don't know which process to run it through. Would it be better to expose at 25 and process in D-96, or is it okay to rate at 50 and process in D-94A?

• Premium Member

I am going to try to shoot the film on nothing important. I was planning on overexposing a stop to compensate for age, but I don't know which process to run it through. Would it be better to expose at 25 and process in D-96, or is it okay to rate at 50 and process in D-94A?

When the Folks at Kodak revised the process for PX reversal, they said the Old film could be run in the new process, but that it should be rated at 100 just like the new version. PX does deteriorate Much more slowly than faster films. MY guess is that the difference would e a wash, and 50 might just work.

Doing it as a negative does leave you some wiggle room, but that would require either scanning or a blow up print.

The old 7276 needs to be exposed at ASA 100 with the new chemistry, which means you would underexpose it a stop by comparison. If you expose it at the old ASA 50, the new chemistry will basically push it a stop, so it will be overexposed.

This explains it all:

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/16mm/features/newBWFilmsQA.jhtml

The new developer is 94A, not 94. The bleach is different too, so not sure what would happen if you used 94 with an ASA of 50, along with the new bleach...? If you are processing it yourself, you could always just formulate 94 and use the old bleach, too, and rate it at 50.

7276 is a nice stock. It took well to processing as a negative, and it had a nice spread out curve-- a great range, not as contrasty and fussy as the new Plus-X version, or Tri-X. Some people thought it was too "gray" but that was the point.