wide angle - lens or attachment?

Andrew Grace

I'm off to shoot a doc this summer which will require a lot of shooting of the subjects in a car. As a still photographer, I've always treasured my wide angle lenses, and with this new project it seems as though I'll have to bite the bullet and figure out a wide angle solution for my xl1. yes, xl1 - as in not xl2 or even xl1s...

my question is, what is the experience of others on the board as to the different wide angle options? i know canon offers its own wide anlge lens for quite a hefty price tag. i've been looking into century optics lens adapters, but am unsure of the results they've produced for other xl1 users. also, has anyone experienced the difference between their .6x and their .7x (besides a couple hundred dollars)? i understand about the difference they provide in zoom length, but I'll mostly be wide when using this lens in close situation.

any info is much appreciated

• Premium Member

The Century adaptor is probably the best adaptor you can buy (there are 2 models that have different specs). They don't reach quite as wide as the Canon lens and also limit your zoom range. But at about 1/4 of the price I'd suggest the adaptor and use the money you save to get you some other gear. Soderbergh used the Century adaptor on his movie Full Frontal.

The first time I used the XL 1 I was very excited about interchangeable lenses and a terrific wide angle lens. After spending 8 hours riding horseback down a rock wall on Haleakala Volcano like the ?Man from Snowy River? and trying to change lenses on my XL1 I thought I?d reconsider my game plan. Now I own a PD 150 with a Century precision wide angle adapter. The good one which allows zoom through. I keep it in my pocket and it easily goes on and off. I?m sure the quality isn?t as good as the Cannon wide angle. But it looks great. I?ve shot mostly broadcast stuff with it and I?m very happy with the results. In fact I have a documentary on The Military Channel, formally Discovery Wings, February 24, 9 PM that was shot on a PD 150with wide angle adapter.

GOIN' BACK: Iwo Jima: This first installment of a regular series of specials allows viewers to travel with American war veterans and their families as they return to the battlefields that came to define their lives, in this case the Pacific island Iwo Jima. GOIN' BACK premieres on Thursday, February 24, at 9 PM (ET/PT).