example of using 3383 colour print stock as interneg.

This clip is a sample of the technique used in a new film of mine - 'Tasmainian Splinters'. The original footage was shot on Plus-X 7231 bw neg. It is of dead trees and branches on some farm land in Tasmania. From this original bw neg I made a high contrast postive on 7363 processed in D19. From that high contrast postive I then printed a high contrast neg, again on 7363. After a series of test prints to determine lights and filtration, this HC neg was printed 5 times onto the same piece of 3383 colour print film using 5 different filter combinations (50c, 50y, 50m, 50c+50y, 50m+50y). This roll of 3383 was nonetheless processed in ECNII chemistry. In this sample roll, each of these 5 passes were exactly 5 frames shifted from one another. Thus there was a 5 frame gap between the printing of the hc neg with the 50c filter and the printing of the hc neg with the 50y filter, etc. etc.. I subsequently also made rolls 1 frame shifted, 2, 10, 20 and 40 frames shifted, and playing with the printer's fade-device at the same time.

These 3383 rolls became the master negatives (which I have been calling 'internegs') and were then printed onto 3383 print stock (process ECP) using some blank colour negative film (effectively orange) as well as a little tweak +20c in the printer filter pack. The results are rather stunning. Naturally, using 3383 as an interneg in the ordinary course of events would itelf unavoidably be a high contrast stage, but for this project where I wanted a lithographic effect, it was ideal. The finished film is about 17 minutes from the one original 100' roll of 7231 plus-x neg. Currently the I am still refining the work print edit. I am also still working on the sound. The telecine you are watching is from the work print. There is a little colour cast in the video due to not fussing too much about adjusting the light source of my telecine. I will of course also make the prints myself (as well as record the optical sound on my Auricon gear which works very well). This will mean a non-silver audio track on colour print. I have done a little of this in the past and it seems to give acceptable results.

see what you think.

richard

Here is the link: