How can I recreate something like this?

I'm looking to make a sort of parody/tribute video of the opening credits to the HBO series How to Make it in America but will of course be using all new footage. I have what you could call a top of the line prosumer hd camcorder and access to professional photography equipment. Can anyone look at this vid on youtube and tell me what equipment/editing software/effects/techniques I'd need to use to recreate something close to this. Was this done with combination of photographs and video, or could I do something like this with just my camcorder?

Thanks for the help. Heres the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvfIGPiZL-g

• Premium Member

It would make more sense to mix still photos into the montage than just freeze the video footage, because some of those use a flash. Most of it looks like DSLR video & stills mixed with some slow-motion footage. I suppose the slow-motion could have been some 720/60P that some DSLR's are capable of, but it could have been some even slower stuff (higher frame rate) shot on a Phantom. But I suppose you can get away with 60P stuff slowed down even further for your parody.

If "cdspata" is your real name (C.D. Spata I guess), which is required here, it would be better if your User Name made that more clear OR if you put an automatic signature in your posts with your real name.

• 1 month later...

Its DSLR footage for sure...

Get as many images as you need, but remember the secret of this sequence is in the editing....

with an editor this good, your images will always look interesting.

Exactly. No fancy equipment nor expensive software. It can all be done on the 7D and FCP. Pay attention to how it's cut together. When you go to shoot yours, have everything planned out so you know exactly what shots you want still and which ones you want moving.