s16mm lenses on Red one camera?

Can anybody clarify the specifics of using a s16mm lens on the Red cam'? I believe that the focal length of the 16mm lens roughly doubles, but would like to verify? Also, I'm wondering if the sensor coverage is full at 4k (or now 4.5K), or does it crop to something more like a 2k size image?

I'm shooting a short on the Red next week, I only have primes available with the camera package, the director wants to implement a couple of zoom shots and I can only find a vari-zoom lens that is normally used on an Arri SR2. Had a hard time finding any info on this through the search function.

Thanks a bunch.

S16 zooms have a smaller image circle so they will vignette if using the whole sensor. If you go down to 2k mode you use a smaller part of the sensor so you will be able to use the zoom throughout its whole range most likely.

• Premium Member

Can anybody clarify the specifics of using a s16mm lens on the Red cam'? I believe that the focal length of the 16mm lens roughly doubles, but would like to verify?

The focal length of a lens never changes regardless of what camera you put it on. Lenses designed for S16 will generally not cover a S35mm frame. Lenses designed for S35 will cover S16 but you will not have any wide angle lenses in a standard set.