Dark Alley With Backlight

Ok so this is a classic budget thing.

we have a dark alley scene for a music video, originally this was to take place at night but for logistical reasons the producers pushed for day and the director and I went over some looks and decided on shooting in a dark shaded alley in daylight with strong backlight. I wanted a 12/18k (looking like itll have to be 12k though) but of course this is costly and the producer doesn't want to have to do it.

They rental house suggested a maxibrute. to me this seems ridiculous as a maxi is 9k and the 12k hmi has gotta put out something like 30k equivalent...right? I have seen par64 lamps put out quiet a bit of light but can the maxi really even compare?

attached is an old set photo that kinda has the look we want accept less orange and stronger backlight....it will be prob at least 3stops brighter then this in the alley...in this photo you can see just a molepar alone give me an edge and a maxi in the backround

I was reading this post as well: http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=43769

people mentioned "Dichroics" are the best to try to use for daylight with a maxi...these are glass filters to put infront of the lamps for color correction or am I off?

btw I know server space isn't cheap...but it is 2010 might the admin/owner think about raising the file upload limit to 1mb or atleast 500k so we could see some nicer stills?

thanks for any info guys! this forum has been a life saver the least 2-3 years.

Edited by Jake Zalutsky

btw, we are not putting the lights in frame the set photo is only a reference.

I saw the post, and saw how it could come off like we are trying to get the classic rap video back light in frame effect. We are not!

• Premium Member

A MaxiBrute can be a 6-light, 9-light, 12-light, 24-light...

I'd see if they can go for a 12-light Maxi at least with spot or VSNP globes, that should be bright enough in a shadowed alley... but the question is what are you going to do near noon when the sun is falling down into the alley?

I'd leave it tungsten for the orange backlight, overexposed it won't look as orange. If you really want a white backlight, then push for the 18K HMI.

A MaxiBrute can be a 6-light, 9-light, 12-light, 24-light...

I'd see if they can go for a 12-light Maxi at least with spot or VSNP globes, that should be bright enough in a shadowed alley... but the question is what are you going to do near noon when the sun is falling down into the alley?

I'd leave it tungsten for the orange backlight, overexposed it won't look as orange. If you really want a white backlight, then push for the 18K HMI.

ah yea, my mistake...a 9 light maxi was what was talked about....but maybe it is possible to go bigger. Ideally I was looking to go 1/2 cto on the 12k (18k is looking not possible cause we are getting a 200amp geny) but realistically I was thinking I would wind up at 1/4 cause I would sacrifice color for power I think.

the whole scene will be shot in 3hrs when the alley is heavily shaded so were good on that note, its a pretty short dance sequence.

I wish arri made a 9 and 12 light maxi so I could check it out in comparison on that photometric calculator. Do you think (disregarding color temp) the 12k hmi will be significantly brighter then the 12light maxi with narrows in it? the idea is also to be able to stop down a bit to cut out ambient light (... make the alley fell darker) while keeping that edge semi hot on them.