Job prospects (LA/NY) - No experience

So, I'm a sophomore in college and I'm thinking of moving to either of the two cities (LA or NY) to start my career after I graduate. I know there are a million people doing the whole LA vs. NY thing and this isn't a thread asking which city is better, it is a thread asking how the job prospects for work in the film industry measure up to each other.

I'm interested primarily in production and I'm not sure about going to film school at this point so I figured I would try to work my way up from the very bottom (Production Assistant work) and see where it takes me. I'm looking for people who have started out at the bottom in both cities to chime in and share some insight about how things went for them.

I know LA has lots of opportunity so mostly I'm wondering how the film opportunities are in New York in comparison. Would I notice a significant difference? Would choosing to start out in NYC instead of LA lower my chances of being successful with a career in production?

Matt

Thanks ahead for you patience.

Well for feature films you have to ask yourself, how many movies are actually made in LA or New York these days?

Seems the big LA based DOPs on this site may be hired in LA, but they always shoot some place else. PAs are local hires, they are not going to hire a PA in LA and then ship him to the set in Vancouver.

LA of course is still the king of episodic TV though, if you want to go that route.

R,