K3 video tap

Julius Sokolowski

Has anyone concidered or maybe even tried sticking a video tap on the K3 viewfinder ?

If you know someone or some place i could get more info on how to make a viewfinder videotap please let me know.

I have the resources to machine the parts and buy a camera, but the optics part is quite fuzzy to me.

Julius

Try AZ spectrum--> http://hometown.aol.com/azspectrum/

They make all types of taps for most modern cameras

They make a viewfinder tap for the Eclair NPR (if I'm not mistaken)

Although I dunno if they can make one for the K3

I should warn you though

A video tap might cost just as much (if not more) as the camera (K3)

Video tap is really for professional movie camera

The K3 really isn't a professional 16mm camera

It's more of an student or amatuer 16mm camera

It's a run & gun kinda camera (very good for what it is but not a pro camera)

I've seen it used for B camera sometimes as well

But not always the best choice since its not Xtal speed.

Why don't you just shoot with your eye

If you're the DP tell the director to trust you & look at the frame before shooting

If you're the Director trust your DP & look at the frame before shooting

You don't need to be monitoring the image through a monitor

To get quality images.

Good luck

Thanks Rik

I'm just toying with the idea. I have no ambition of making the K3 into a pro camera. And i don't intend on buyig a video tap for it. What i'm concidering is buying one of those small ccd cameras for something like $100 and making an adapter for the eyepiece on my lathe.

Thansks again

Julius

Guest Dan Thompson
Thanks Rik

I'm just toying with the idea. I have no ambition of making the K3 into a pro camera. And i don't intend on buyig a video tap for it. What i'm concidering is buying one of those small ccd cameras for something like $100  and making an adapter for the eyepiece on my lathe.

Thansks again

Julius

Sounds interesting Julius! Please keep us posted if you decided to pursue the project. I'd love to be able to do the same to my k-3 :)

Edited by Dan Thompson

Guest Ian Marks

It's definitely possible. There's an electronics shop near me in Burbank (their web site is electroniccity.com) that sells the kind of little video cameras that would work for this kind of project. The trick is finding the right focal length lens (they're tiny and cheap and focus by screwing into or out of the video camera, which is basically on a 1 by 1-inch chip) and then making some kind of small housing that attaches to your eyepiece. The result will be nowhere as nice as a professional video tap, of course, but with a small LCD monitor (and a power supply, as the K3 is all mechanical) you could have a nice little rig for those away-from-the-eye "glidecam" type shots. Be sure to let us know when you get it all working.

Hi;

I do this a bit with my bolex, I use an 8mm cctv "lipstick" cam and just tape it with a little rod splint, it looks kinda crappy but it works great for framing when your doing funny things with your cam like strapping it to a tree etc, I just run it into a little sony handycam for viewing, the really cool thing is you can keep a reference of the shot on minidv!

Olly

Hi;

I do this a bit with my bolex, I use an 8mm cctv "lipstick" cam and just tape it with a little rod splint, it looks kinda crappy but it works great for framing when your doing funny things with your cam like strapping it to a tree etc, I just run it into a little sony handycam for viewing, the really cool thing is you can keep a reference of the shot on minidv!

Olly

I've worked with similar a long time ago but isn't there a such thing as a universal video assist designed to work with cameras not originally designed for video taps?Last I heard it was around 600 bucks.Too much if you're using a K 3 but if you were using say an Arri S or an Eclair,might be a consideration.

Marty

Guest Ian Marks

The little video cameras I've seen have been cheap - maybe $50-60 for a B/W model and not much more for color. The local shop that sells them has them set up on the counter top for people to play with, including one that is submerged in a little housing in a fish tank. Not the highest-resolution image, of course, but more than good enough for framing. Of course, the image is going to flicker while the camera is running because of the rotating mirror shutter.

I've also aimed one of these little cameras into the finder port of my ACL (with the finder removed) and gotten a sharp image of the groundglass. One day I'll find time to actually make a video tap that replaces the Eclair's finder.

If you're thinking of making a stabilizer, check out http://homebuiltstabilizers.com.

OK, it might seem a bit corky to build a camera stabilizer for a K3 and a little DC camocoder but what the heck... It's fun. And who knows, maybe I will find myself a nice little "cheap" ARRI S or a NPR or something or uppgrade to one of those nice DVCAM. And since I don't have a machine shop at home i thougt that any machining jobs I want to do i might as well do while I have acess to the proper tools at school.

So anyway I will need a video tap if I want to shoot 16 mm while hauling my ass with 25 kgs of aluminum and camera straped to it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NCSProducts
I should warn you though

A video tap might cost just as much (if not more) as the camera (K3)

Video tap is really for professional movie camera

The K3 really isn't a professional 16mm camera

It's more of an student or amatuer 16mm camera

Well, a bargin camera deserves a bargin video tap!

K3 Videotap

2004-7-14_k3-videotap-smaller.jpg

k3vt-inf-zoomout-smaller.jpg

This is one of the "MKA" video taps for the K-3.

Never put it (for sale) on the website, because I was never impressed with it.

Finicky to install and detach.

They sold them for $350 back in the mid-90s.

I've got one for sale cheap(er)!

Send an email (see website) or PM for details.

- Dom

K3camera.com