Analog Video Tape Formats 60's & 70's

Ernie Zahn

Hi, I'm trying to find out what kind of video was used for many taped shows in the 60's and 70's. Here's the analog video I know of:

VHS

VHS-C

Beta Max

8mm

The tpe I'm referring to I've heard called 2 inch tape, this lead me to think that perhaps it was some kind of reel to reel video. I'm also assuming the equipment is huge and probably expensive should I be able to get a hold of it. If that's true is there any other kind of tape that produces the same kind of image as this format that's affordable? I know this type of video was used for studio shots in Monty Python as well as the format shot for Led Zeppelin's Performance in Earl's Court, if that rings a bell for anyone.

Thanks,

Ernie

• Premium Member

Hi,

Possibly 2" quad? I'd have thought that the look of video footage from the era would probably have been more to do with tube cameras than the tape format in use, though. You might choose to record you material to Hi8 or something - it wouldn't have looked that bad, in fact the tape format would have looked very good when new and set up correctly, but it might work for you to exaggerate it a little.

Phil

Hi,

Possibly 2" quad? I'd have thought that the look of video footage from the era would probably have been more to do with tube cameras than the tape format in use, though. You might choose to record you material to Hi8 or something - it wouldn't have looked that bad, in fact the tape format would have looked very good when new and set up correctly, but it might work for you to exaggerate it a little.

Phil

Intersting, so is there a way to create that effect? The look of those 60's and 70's shows? Or would I have to get a hold of a tube based camera?

I agree w/Phil. The cameras of the day probably influenced the look of the video more so than the recording medium. You also have to keep in mind that image degradation<sp?> and/or restoration could contribute to the look of the video you see today (i.e. "fresh" footage shot w/tube cameras and recorded onto 2" video tape might look different than footage that's been sitting around for 20-30 years, and possibly re-mastered to a newer format, before being transfered to the DVD you have in your living room).

And you are correct in assuming that 2", and 1", videotape are reel-to-reel. And, useless piece of info here, there is some guy that works at some TV station somewhere in Oklahoma that still uses 1" for b'cast purposes (at my previous job it was the one and only time someone requested 1" as the final delivery format).

-Andrew

• Premium Member

Hi,

You can kind of fake it up by putting a lot of ghosting on the hilights and grading low-contrast and brown, but it isn't terribly convincing - more a cue to the viewer that we're in a certain time period rather than accurately looking like it.

Phil

Hi,

You can kind of fake it up by putting a lot of ghosting on the hilights and grading low-contrast and brown, but it isn't terribly convincing - more a cue to the viewer that we're in a certain time period rather than accurately looking like it.

Phil

So in other words unless I come across some actual 60's 70's Tube TV studio equipment, I'm going to pull it off. Could I come across any cameras like that on ebay? Or too far fetched?

Edited by BonnutFilmStudio

Tube equipment comes on ebay every once in a while... I was thinking of picking one up myself for the same effect incase I ever needed it. I have never seen one for more than $50 too. The condition of the tubes would be suspect of course, and I don't know what kind they usually take.