Ektachrome 100D and Canon 514XL

Joe Pooley

Wondering whether my automatic exposure Canon 514XL will be able to properly recognize the new Kodak Ektachrome 100D. Because the film is daylight balanced, the Kodak website suggests setting the camera to tungsten light (i.e. deactivating the daylight filter) when using the 100D stock outside. Won't this mean, however, that my camera won't properly recognize the daylight speed of the film, and overexpose the image?

I'd appreciate if anyone has any suggestions on this.

The 100D cartridge should already pull out the daylight 85 filter, because it pushes in the camera's filter pin, which in theory takes the filter out automatically and sets the meter to the lower ASA of its speed-notch size, which is 100. That's the SMPTE protocol, and these lower ASAs are always reserved for "daylight" films by design-- daylight meaning those films that do not need an 85 correction filter.

Since this Canon will read the ASA 250 speed indice, I don't see any reason why it is not SMPTE compliant, and thus it should read 100D accurately. Unlike ASA 160-only cameras there'd be no technical reason for it not to be.

Also, remember that 100D will work well outdoors in daylight no matter the accuracy of the ASA setting. That's because there is such an incredibly broad exposure range that most of the picture will be "correctly" exposed as a whole, even if the meter is 2/3 stop "off."