reading scripts

jeff striker

"have any screenwriters here found reading movie scripts to be helpful?"

Definately. Many amateur writers make the mistake of not following classic script structure and there's no better way IMO to perfect your craft than to expose yourself to industry masterpieces.

I'm in the process of rewriting a script at the moment and the biggest problem the first draft caused the reader was the fact that it was overwritten and lacked proper format and structure.

After submitting the first draft I took several months off to further study the craft, read more screenplays and books on screenwriting.

What didn't work in the first draft became obvious to me only after reading professional hollywood screenplays.

Boy -- do I have a lot of work to do... but at least I know what to fix.

So yeah. Read as many as you can because writing the type of script that has even the slightest shot at getting made needs to be for lack of a better word -- perfect.

• Premium Member

I've been writing my own scripts for my short prodouctions for about

3 to 4 years now. I have several friends who are currently network

writers on popular shows(this does not get me an in!) and yet I write

work close to theirs. About a year ago I read an article in Script mag

that out of 200 to 300 scripts read maybe 2 to 3 are singled out and

maybe they will make it to production stage. I'm only interested in a

personal way with writing, just like to write for my own productions.

I've never tried to sell a script. I don't thing I would even want to sell

one, too much agony to go through. If you have time read "Hollywood

Animal" by Joe Eszterhas. I would rather work hard(its real hard) mak-

ing a film, DP etc. .

Greg Gross

• Premium Member

I forgot to say that the studios used to have script readers. You would have

to get that far with your script, you know for the reader to read it. Today

I do not know, I'll ask my friends. I suppose somebody at pre-production

level. Somebody say at "Dreamworks" looking for a good story,someone

at executive level, reads story likes it,sees potential. Maybe then it goes

to executive producer(for approval) and maybe then to producer who will

talk to potential directors. Don't know a lot about this so I'm guessing.

Greg Gross

This is absolutely essential.

In fact, it's completely insanely stupid not to.

When newbie screenwriters ask me for advice, I tell them to not even think about it until they read at least 20 screenplays to good films, and films in the format they're thinking of writing in particular.

They always look at me like I'm from Mars, but it's just insane that anyone thinks they're going to write a good screenplay, when they haven't read any.

Do you think you could write a novel if you'd never even read one?

There are lots of people that think that just because they like movies, that somehow makes them qualified to make them without learning the craft first, and screenplays are a completely unique writing form.

You can't just "guess", and so many "how to" books are just absolutely WRONG, especially ones written by "script consultants" who have never written a script (don't get me started on these industry parasites!!!).

Matt Pacini

• Premium Member

You want to make movies, you need to watch movies. You want to write screenplays, you need to be reading screenplays.

About 200 a year is a good start for a novice to learn the form, then you can back it down once you get the hang of it. There's a lot of online resources for free screenplays so it's easy. Also check out www.TriggerStreet.com for an online community of writers actively reading each other's material.

• Premium Member

Reading screenplays is the best way to learn, in my opinion. Read classic screenplays, read screenplays in your genre of choice, and read recent screenplays to witness the latest formatting tips. You can read unproduced screenplays as well, but I don't personally emphasize this path as much, though many find it useful.

I think reading screenplays has taught me far more about writing screenplays than the "how to" manuals & gurus.

best

theturnaround

have any screenwriters here found reading movie scripts to be helpful?

I sold my first script when I was 20. I credit it to two things. 1) Writing plays since I was in elementry school. 2) Interning as an intern for a production company as a reader doing coverage.

While what I wrote before that experience might have had moments or been clever, nothing would have ever been something anyone would have paid money for until I had that internship.

Yes, books help (books by Goldman, McKee, Egri, etc. etc.) - but nothing in my opinion matched reading over 100 screenplays (most of them bad) and having to figure out why they were bad or good. You end up seeing the same mistakes again and again and again until it's second nature to notice the problem (and avoid it) in your own writing. To counter balance it though I would go to the Academy Library on my own time and read the best screenplays to make sure I was getting an influence of what did work.

Edited by Mark Douglas

Read Scripts constantly. I take extensive notes on every script I read as if I was a reader. I have a form which lists genre, theme, strengths and weaknesses. Anytime I can I read scripts. It has helped my writing a lot. I?ve sold two screen plays and taking notes on scripts kind of got me into the rhythm of thinking like a writer or development person.

• Premium Member

MED. SHOT AT OPEN WINDOW

as Rick and Ilsa come into the scene. The loudspeaker is blaring in German.

RICK:

My German's a little rusty--

ILSA:

(sadly)

It's the Gestapo. They say they expect to be in Paris

tomorrow. They are telling us how to act when they

come marching in.

They are silent, depressed.

ILSA:

(smiling faintly)

With the whole world crumbling we pick this time to

fall in love.

RICK:

(with an abrupt laugh)

Yeah. Pretty bad timing.

(looks at her)

Where were you ten years ago?

ILSA:

(trying to cheer up)

Ten years ago? Lets see--

(thinks)

Oh, yes. I was having a brace put on my teeth.

Where were you?

RICK:

I was looking for a job.

Pause. Ilsa looks at him tenderly.

ILSA:

Rick -- Hitler or no Hitler, kiss me.

Rick takes her in his arms,kisses her hungrily, while they are locked in

an embrace the dull boom of cannons is HEARD. Rick and Ilsa seperate.

ILSA:

(frightened , but trying not to show it)

Was that cannon fire -- or just my heart pounding?

Quote-Script of Casablanca

Warner Brother's Pictures Inc.

Greg Gross

If you're not getting much out of the scripts you're reading, may I suggest that you're not yet solid on the Feature screenplay form. Structure. Do this homework first, then re-read the same scripts and see what jumps out at you once you can define the elements of the form and their importance within the structure.

Remember that the director is depending, or should be depending, on your ability to decipher the script and deliver the needed materials for him to edit a complete, structured show. All the elements.

So yeah, take it seriously as part of your job. There will always be directors who want to rebel against structure and generally end up with a show that feels incomplete regardless of the spectacular visuals you have slaved to contribute.

The reasons for the structure to exist go all the way back to the Ancient Greek theater and have been scrutinized and refined for millinia by who knows how many thousands of writers and directors, hypothetically at least, more clever than either you of I, I would venture. My point is only that recognizing structure a valid and worthy discipline.

When working with inexperienced directors that don't know the form themselves, you can be of great assistance to them suggesting ways of filling in the holes. How to do that....well, that's for another thread.

Edited by Leon Rodriguez