the New Vision 2 Stocks

Oliver Gläser

I just received Cinematographers test rolls of the newly released 100, 200, and 500 expression stocks and am getting ready to shoot them. I am very excited to see what the film will look like as I have been blown away by the results of the first Vision 2 stock, the 7218, in terms of latitude and lack of grain, etc. I also recently shot the Reala 500 from Fuji and was quite dissapointed in its 16mm version. The stock really confuses me...what is the purpose of a high speed daylight stock. I don't know, it just seems that if there is daylight enought to shoot then you wouldn't need that fast a stock. Maybe the use of HMI's but other than that.I also wasn't very happy with the grain structure of the Fuji stock. It really seems that they are falling behind in the case of 16mm films. That being said I was also a little dissapointed with the Kodak 800 speed stock in 16mm. I've shot into the dark with the old 7293 (EXR 200T) with amazing results. I'm sad to hear then they are replacing it. I was wondering if anyone has shot anything yet with the new films under practical working circumstances, and what your thoughts of them are. At this point and for the forseable future, I wouldn't touch HD or Video as long as film, in any form (super8mm, 16mm and 35) is still being made, for anything dramatic that I will ever shoot (Budgets permitting). By the way Long live KODAK, LONG LIVE FILM!!!

peace.

Oliver Gläser

cinematographer

what is the purpose of a high speed daylight stock.

"Daylight" just refers to the colour temperature, not the brightness.

So, for example at "magic hour" there might not be "daylight enough to shoot". Or you might want increased depth of field. Or (similar) you might be shooting tabletop models under HMI's to keep cool: that really needs a small aperture to get any realistic d-o-f.

Or you might want to use small shutter angles like

Spielberg likes to do (saving private ryan,and that other TV shot

about WW2,i can't remember the name)

or like in Gladiator for all the fights.

Imagine doing this in magic hour,wanting to have a deep focus

and wanting to make this strobe effect,all three at once

By the way Long live KODAK, LONG LIVE FILM!!!

peace.

Oliver Gläser

cinematographer 

Just to let you know this type of zealousness doesn't go over too well on this forum.

In these days of people wanting to shoot more and more video, I feel that my zeal for film is justified. I shoot both Kodak and Fuji and knowing both, I feel that I have the right to give kodak the credit where it is due. They are moving in the right direction to ensure the future viability of film. I don't see why anyone would be offended by any statements that I made...I'll be clear, I am a Cinematographer shooting film, I support film and believe in its superiority over ALL video formats for the production of MOST dramatic films. I do also shoot video for documentary work. I do not mean to offend anyone, these are my opinions and I respect the fact that others may not share them.

Oliver Gläser

cinematographer

There are those people who claim that one day we will stand over films' grave recording the funeral with an HD camera. I myself prefer shooting film.

But I think it best if we stick with the facts and the truth of our experiences and leave out the propaganda from both sides.